Anyone install a Piezo system into a Strat?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dman11, Feb 6, 2012.

1. dman11

dman11 Member

I'm looking for some versatility for my Warmoth build Super Strat HSS. I want to add a piezo system and want to know who's done it successfully?Fishman> Baggs?

2. lamf

lamf Member

I think there's a Graftech piezo strat bridge that just wires straight in

3. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Yes, the Graftech Ghost system is excellent. It' s a pain to install but worth it.

4. stratrat2000

stratrat2000 Member

+1 on the Graph Tech Ghost. Best sounding and most reliable. It's a modular system, so you just add the bits you need. Plus they have saddles for just about every guitar.

5. TomOlsen1

TomOlsen1 Member

The graphtech is fantastic, I have it in 4 of my guitars. However, go to their page and check out the 14b wiring. This keeps your magnetic signal passive, as the acoustic phonic pre introduces some top end hiss. However, if you play mostly clean you'll never notice the difference. But for higher gain definitely go the 14b route.

Here's the wiring guide:
    http://www.graphtech.com/fckeditor/userfiles/File/MagBypass14Bjack.pdf

Mail the guys at graph tech to add one to your order. Super helpful people!

6. Alter

Alter Member

i see this thread is a few months old, but i 'm installing the ghost system and would like to keep the mags passive also. this wiring seems the way to go, but i didn't understand what happens when using a mono cable. can u still get the acoustic sound (losing only the blend mode), or is it only available on stereo mode? also are there suggested values for the volume pots, or can i use anything i like? the guitar is a tele with fender vintage tele pickups

thanks for any help

7. speedyone

speedyone Supporting Member

Hey perhaps a stupid question guys, but can you use the Graphtech Ghost sytem with its saddles on a Trem equipped guitar?

Ie, put the saddles into a Super Vee BladeRunner?

8. speedyone

speedyone Supporting Member

Nevermind, founs out you CAN use the Ghost system with tremolos.

Cool!

9. stratrat2000

stratrat2000 Member

No, if the mags are passive, you cannot blend the piezo and mags onboard - huge difference in impedance. The whole reason for having the actives for the mags is to match the impedance with the preamped piezo signal.

250K, so the stock pots work perfectly. 500K works pretty well too.

10. Alter

Alter Member

thanks for the help and answers guys, the graph tech people told me the same things. looks like i ll be going the 14b way, keeping the mags true bypass (don't want to mess with their sound)