Anyone install a TV Jones in a Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by cg, Jan 21, 2008.

1. cg

cg Member

Can it be done? I think it might sound pretty cool, especially in the neck position.

2. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

I tried it once - bridge position. Actually TV makes it easier these days with both TV'trons, which are Filters in a HB size cover, and HB-sized pickup mounting rings that fit regular Filter'trons.

When I tried it it sounded good but didn't turn my LP into a Duo-jet!

Check out TV's site. It will be a piece of cake to install them. The Magna'tron sounds cool too - recommended for clarity and sweetness.

3. Grenville

Grenville Member

Back in the day Jan Akkerman from Dutch band Focus put Gretsch pups in his Les Paul.

4. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

I had a magnatron in my SG special, P90 size.

While it sounded great, with all the clarity and sweetness as described on the site, I couldn't hang with the low output.

To be fair it was my first TV jones/ gretsch style P/U so i guess I might have know it would have less output than a conventional P/U.

5. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Just an update to the thread. I got to thinking and decided to put the magnatron humbucker in an single cut 80's melody maker I hd laying around.

It was an e-baby that showed up pretty rough with a mystery pick-up and terrible wiring. Since it's already routed for a humbucker I thought may as well try the Magnatron in there.

I'll post a clip if anyones interested.

6. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

'nother update, I just got the melody maker back with the Magnatron..

It sounds gorgeous! I didn't like the magnatron in the SG special but it has made the MM come alive! Twang, bite, warmth from a MM -I'm lovin it s far.

I play live on the Valentines weekend so I guess I'll play it there and see how she holds up.

7. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Phil from Matchless has 'em in his LP - they sound KILLER! almost drove me to buyin' a set!

8. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

9. Iceman77

Iceman77 Member

man that sounds great -- I love TV's filtertrons but that's the first time I've heard the Magna

10. Orren

Orren Member

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with TV Jones pickups in any guitar! :dude

Orren