Anyone install an effects loop in an analog delay to add modulation?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by AshlandBump, Jul 18, 2008.

1. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    I have an AD-900 that I love for its delay effect but I'd really like to have DMM-type modulated delays. In theory, it seems like adding a loop that would affect the wet signal only could be used to put chorus/vibe pedal on the delayed signal and get modulated delays. I'm wondering if anyone's done this and how satisfied/dissatisfied they are with the result.

2. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

Not exactly what you're asking, as far as adding a loop to your current pedal, but the new Skreddy Echo has a loop and sounds fantastic. The loop is my favorite feature of that pedal.

3. AshlandBump

bump -- I know some builders put a loop in their delay, like Retroman -- good to know about the Skreddy too -- but I'd rather hold on to my AD-900 and do this mod -- if it works -- than buy another delay pedal.

4. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I'll bet there's a way to do it. I know BYOC delays have a mod to add an FX loop. Try emailing Brian w/Wampler pedals or Analog Mike.

5. yeahyeahyeah

yeahyeahyeah Supporting Member

Its pretty easy to do if you have a schematic and parts layout for the pedal, its just a matter of finding space for the jacks. Without a schematic you would have to do some reverse engineering first.

6. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

That sounds like a job for Keeley or one of the other modders.

I'm a big fan of effects loops on delays. That is one of the main reasons I got the Moog after being a Deluxe Memory Man user for a long time.

Another option would be to use a mixer in your setup, though that would probably get complicated.

Bryan

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Keeley does that exact mod to the DD-3. I'd contact him asking for a custom job for your ad-900

8. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

yeah, keeley is pretty solid. i'm unfortunatly majorly keeley dependant on my board right now (has swelled to 5 pedals!) but they sound good and get the job done.

9. GTRICH

GTRICH Member

For an FX loop delay, I ended up with a BlackBox Quicksilver. Putting a chorus/flange and OD pedal into it's FX loop makes it a poor man's Tape Echo. It also has a it's own wobble and speed controls (modulation), but the FX loop makes it perfect for tape echo simulations.

Although it is not analog, it is designed with hi-rez converters and has a treble roll off knob to simulate a warm analog trail off. It does not suck out tone, which is good.

Modding an analog delay pedal might be pricey and take down it's resale value, but if you have to go there..... :)

10. aeonlux

aeonlux Member

Good luck! Send-return on the delay feedback loop is one reason I love my Moog MF-104SD Super Delay so much. Stick an Empress Trem, Moog MF-105 MuRF, Roland RE-201 Space Echo, or prophecysound infinitphase mkII Custom in there, and you are cooking with gas! :AOK

cheers,
    Ian

11. IvIark

IvIark Member

Just put the delay pedal and modulation effect of your choice in a side loop using something like the Boss LS2.

12. AshlandBump

Thanks for the responses -- sounds like it would work. I contacted AnalogMike about doing this mod a while ago and he said he though he could do it. I just wanted to see if any had done it to be sure it'll do what I want it to do.

13. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

Hmmm...I have a stereo analogue delay and tried running the delay channel out into a TC SCM for modulation. Not quite what you're talking about but I get a modulated delay signal and a clean dry signal. Sounds pretty good as loong as you don't mind your echo coming from somewhere else...

14. mattthefiddler

mattthefiddler Member

I bought the Moogerfooger 104z because of the loop options :) among other awesome features.