anyone into Gang of Four?

colorguard

british post punk from the 70s and early 80s... mixing style of punk, funk, dub reggae, and minimalism!! and well!!!!

nnick

Love Gang of Four. Great band. i also like some of Dave Allen's other projects like Low Pop Suicide and Shriekback.

roadfilm

In the early eighties I walked into the local record shop (remember those?) and while I was there the guy put on Go4's "Solid Gold". Man I freaked out, What is this!?! and of course instantly bought it and their first record "Entertainment". I still run into that guy who ran the record store and always tell him, Dude, you changed my life! What a band they were.

e-z

Hellz yes!. "Entertainment" is a must hear for any guitar player looking for something other than the same old thing.

909one

Hellz yes!. "Entertainment" is a must hear for any guitar player looking for something other than the same old thing.

Agreed. But, its easy to copy and can get old real past when every band is doing a post-punk revival. Seems to happen about every ten years... a slew of bands come around that all think they are the first people to hear Gang of Four. In the early to mid 2000's there were tons of bands coming outta Brooklyn with this vibe.

taxman

"To Hell With Poverty" was one of the great club songs of the 80s. When the guitar started screaming in that intro everyone in the entire club rushed to the dance floor. Waiting for that killer bass line. Waiting. Waiting. And then WOW! Never saw a dance floor groove so great.

http://www.youtube.com/v/d7enG9nTjMo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d7enG9nTjMo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Gang Of Four are one of the rare bands that changed their sound and were actually just as great as they were with the old sound. When they started to funk out they were as brilliant as when they were punking out. Boy, did I love them.

k.murfee

Silver Supporting Member
Fantastic band. A real eye-opener for me in a lot of ways when I first heard them in high school.

bunuel

Gang Of Four are one of the rare bands that changed their sound and were actually just as great as they were with the old sound. When they started to funk out they were as brilliant as when they were punking out. Boy, did I love them.

Agreed. I love Entertainment, but Songs of the Free blew me away when it came out & still does now. Nothing sounded quite like it & nothing still does now.

As if tremendous lyrics atop the innovative music wasn't enough they also packed a wallop live. Lucky enough to have seen 'em during the Solid Gold era in Sacto and the Hard Tour in SF. The latter was one of the best shows I've seen! Also managed to see one of their few reunion shows about 6 yrs back in PDX OR where Dave Allen lived (and mebbe still does) with the same lineup as on Entertainment & they still had it. Just about burned the place down.

It is not enough...!

Top Bottom