Anyone into Garbage?

CC Overdrive

Such a cool band. Great sounds, guitars, stunning singer. Not sure why they didn't blow up, perhaps b/c they were on the darker side of pop? Anyway they are featured often on AXS/Palladia/vh1, and every time there's a new arrangement, something new to chew on. I think I need to see these guys live.

flume

Double Platinum Member
Yes. Fine songs...fine tones, fine guitar choices and hooks in every arrangement.

I made it a priority to see them live every chance I got and was rewarded with a full frontal view of Shirley Manson's crotch-shot black thongs every time. She enjoyed it. So did I. A fair cop as they say.

And?

'58Bassman

Such a cool band. Great sounds, guitars, stunning singer. Not sure why they didn't blow up, perhaps b/c they were on the darker side of pop? Anyway they are featured often on AXS/Palladia/vh1, and every time there's a new arrangement, something new to chew on. I think I need to see these guys live.
I think they didn't blow up because their heads are screwed on tightly and they didn't just show up one day and get a record contract. They were experienced when they made it and even better, they like and respect each other.

Blackmore's Hat

Gold Supporting Member
Saw them twice. Once opening for Smashing Pumpkins in an arena, once at an intimate college venue. At the arena gig Shirley was on from the start. All made-up, strutting, brought her A-game. Damn good show.

The second time she's in sweat pants, a t-shirt, & no make-up, not wanting to be there. I was up close and she literally looked aggravated to be there. The small crowd pulls her along and by the end of the show she is into it & on fire! What started as a disappointing performance turned into a clinic on how to rock it without all the flash.

The band was consistently good for both shows as to be expected.

loudboy

One of the best bands of the era, IMHO.

Great pop melodies, off the chain production, and Shirley!

What's not to love?

CC Overdrive

I think they didn't blow up because their heads are screwed on tightly and they didn't just show up one day and get a record contract. They were experienced when they made it and even better, they like and respect each other.
I meant blow up as in get real big, not self destruct.

Braunzo

I caught them last year at Music Midtown. I was blown away by how much everyone on stage was doing in terms of triggers and have having keyboards in front of them. THAT is the way to have a semi-electronic band. Butch Vig may be one of the most impressive drummers I've seen live. He's doing more than just being a solid drummer.

Tri7/5

The self titled album and 2.0 were great but none of their later work was quite the same for me. Definitely on the darker side as someone else mentioned which is why I liked them personally.

I caught them last year at Music Midtown. I was blown away by how much everyone on stage was doing in terms of triggers and have having keyboards in front of them. THAT is the way to have a semi-electronic band. Butch Vig may be one of the most impressive drummers I've seen live. He's doing more than just being a solid drummer.
I think there are 3 mics when Garbage plays live- two overheads on the cymbals and Shirley's mic.

Polynitro

love love Garbage. the first album and v2.0 are amazing. They did kind of blow up with stupid girl and im only happy when it rains which were on the radio all the time when they came out.

the album they did with dave grohl had some good songs on it...but they kind of fell off after that.

really great live band too

Braunzo

I think there are 3 mics when Garbage plays live- two overheads on the cymbals and Shirley's mic.
By semi-electronic, I meant still having actually guitar, bass and drums tones on top of the loops, sounds and keys. There wasn't an amp on stage. Butch actually had a headset mic when I saw them as did a couple of the other guys. There was some backups, not a ton, but there were some. They were probably my second favorite band that festival. And that's not a knock on any of the other bands because Florence + The Machine, Foo Fighters and Pearl Jam were all incredible. Pearl Jam just gets the first spot for the simple fanboy in me was geeking out hard. That and they were incredible.

Hobbio

I bought their first album (on cassette, no less) off the back of Stupid Girl and I'm Only Happy When It Rains, but the rest of it didn't really do it for me and I sort of forgot about them.

I do like Shirley's voice though.

fjblair

Gold Supporting Member
Don't know much about them other than I really liked "I Think I'm Paranoid".

Big Boss Man

I have been listening to them since the 90s. Their first two albums are great. I also thought their 2012 album Not Your Kind of People was their best release since the 90s. It's worth checking out if you like Garbage.