Anyone into the MIJ vintage re-issue Strats & Teles?

retrobob

They are hard to find these days. They were everywhere a few years back. I think people are holding on to them.
I just picked up a mid 90s MIJ Strat. Kind of beat, but has some good Duncan pickups. Sounds great! I think I will have to give this one a Nitro makeover.

chucke99

Japan was making great strats and teles long before Fender decided to have theirs made there too.

stratsandteles.jpg

Steve73

I have a mid '80's MIJ Tele ('50's reissue) that I've had for like 16 years that I'll never sell. It has seen a lot of miles with me, old reliable you might say. With Fralin's, it will hang with any Tele. GREAT guitars!

retrobob

Heres the one I just got. Sounds great! It needs a fret level and a set up. Once thats
done its ready to ROCK!

DSC01704.jpg

mischultz

ECbluesman54 has a 57RI that I was privileged to hold onto for a little while. I ended up missing it enough to go out and find my own. New volume pot and cap, Callaham block (although the MIJs already have steel, I think; just had this sitting around) and the Dimarzio True Velvets. It's about perfect and one of the most comfortable guitars, physically and sonically, I've ever played.

DSCF8097.jpg

Ti-Ron

I have a CIJ '62 RI Strat and a MIJ 62' RI Tele and they are the best Fender I've played! Seriously they are the best choices on the market!

BarryJ

Gold Supporting Member
I've had a few, and they're my favorite thing Fender makes. This '62 reissue is one of my 'you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands' guitars:

DSC_0052.jpg

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
Nice guitars, you should look to old Fernandes, Tokai and even some old Greco's out there. They don't seem to command as much as the Fenders and some of them are great. I have actually moved away from MIJ guitars for a while; I will be rocking a MIM (Fender Baja Tele) and MIA (Highway One Tele) soon, I'm interested in doing a comparison with memories of MIJ stuff. I've owned A LOT of MIJ stuff: Fernandes, MIJ/CIJ Fender Teles and Strats, Burny, Greco, Orville, ObG, Etc...

Udonitron

I dig my 96 Fender Nashville Tele made at Fujigen. That is what got me into the whole MIJ gear initially...9 LP's later and I have never looked back since.

phusana

Silver Supporting Member
Here's my '86 MIJ '57 reissue. Found it on CL for $350 last year. Needed a fret job, and put a set of handwoound Pre-CBS pups from Rumplestiltskin. Killer strat.

MIJ57strat.jpg

Griz

They are hard to find these days. They were everywhere a few years back. I think people are holding on to them.
I just picked up a mid 90s MIJ Strat. Kind of beat, but has some good Duncan pickups. Sounds great! I think I will have to give this one a Nitro makeover.

I owned a few Japanese RI's in the 90's. Excellent instruments, wood-wise. High build quality, and very consistent. Electronics usually required a bit of attention, though. Great value overall.

johnny q

Man, I wish I had more info on my MIJ Strat (like what type of wood the body is etc).

I bought it in 1987 at Manny's in NYC, it was $325. The guy told me it was a 1972 reissue - it's cream colored (almost yellow) rosewood neck with a fairly large headstock (not quite 70's correct) and I think the tuners are Gotoh's. Over the years I swapped out the original pickups for Dimarzio HS3's and finally settled on Rio Grande Tallboys, I upgraded all the electronics too. This one....actually plays better than my real 1972 Strat.......

JQ

jeffwith1f

That one is MINT! I hope you got a good price for it.

actually not as mint as the pics make it look.
it had a pool ball sized dent on the top (from a pool ball) and a couple other nics and dings. a pretty good sized chip in the poly on the head stock. Also some rust on the pickup poll peices. All told, all original and still a good player. I sold it for too low though. $400 (CDN at that). I totally could have listed it for $600 or perhaps even $800 if I wanted to wait.

I'll say that people were all over it at the price I offered it at.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom