Anyone just using a good old TS9?

addisonnyle

Silver Supporting Member
I'm thinking about picking one up again! Had an older one and sold it a while back. I'm getting tired of "to bright" or "muddy" or "not enough sustain". Seemed like a TS just worked. It'd be fun to mess with the guts on too. Only thing I'm worried about it not having enough gain out of it.

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
Funny, I just picked one up yesterday. Probably on my third one through the years I think...

Need to make space on the board so been looking for something with a smaller footprint than my FulldriveII but with that smooth TS-like sound. After a couple missteps I was like screw it, I'll just get the real deal!

I've got it sounding pretty good with my rig after some tweaking. The sound is like revisiting an old friend. Plenty of gain for my needs, but I do wish for more clarity. Like if the Tone knob was voiced differently or something, gave a bit more air. The lack of low end is good for me, as I play with a pretty warm tone already.

It's an interim pedal, but I like the comfort of a TS9...the classic git-er-done pedal, ol' reliable! :)

addisonnyle

Silver Supporting Member
How's a stock TS9 up against an 808 RI? Mods? Thanks gents!

The Silver TS9 looks good too from Analogman.

rp108

I have a Maxon OD808 and a Maxon OD9 on my board. I prefer the OD808, it has a nice "bite" to it for leads. The OD9 is more "polite" if that makes any sense. I plan on keeping both on my board.

89strat

Yeah, I use one. It makes everything sound better for me. I use it on it's own for a light overdrive, I keep it on and lower my guitar volume a little for fatter clean tone, or overdrive my Rat with it for leads. They're awesome. I have a TS808 reissue also, but I prefer the TS9 which seems to cut through the mix nicer.

89strat

Actually, it seems like everyone is using one now. Everytime I pick up a guitar magazine, and it shows what musicians are using, there's the ts9. It's relatively cheap and can be bought at anytime at just about any guitar store. And they do sound great.

duaner58

Silver Supporting Member
Im use the ts9 30th....been through a lot of em but this was has something more to it, though many claim it doesn't

3leggeddog

I use a stock Ibanez TS9, about 5 years old. I've often considered unloading to get a 'better' OD pedal, but can't make myself do it. Its reliable, can sound great at times, and works really well as a boost into my MI Crunch Box for heavier stuff.

GarMan

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, I use one. It makes everything sound better for me. I use it on it's own for a light overdrive, I keep it on and lower my guitar volume a little for fatter clean tone, or overdrive my Rat with it for leads. They're awesome. I have a TS808 reissue also, but I prefer the TS9 which seems to cut through the mix nicer.

I am curious to know what amp you are using? I use the OD-9, but use it the same way as you. My RAT is my distortion, they sound great together. I have a Fender Super Reverb. I don't care too much for the bass loss, but it sounds good with the Fender Super.

StormJH1

My collection was almost entirely Boss (and I love the BD-2 Blues Driver, which is sort of a Tubescreamer imposter, in some ways), but I think it's inevitable I'll get a TS-9. I've been lurking on eBay, but getting a new one might be the way to go. They look well built, but I still don't trust that switch as much as I would a BOSS pedal.

dwolfggc

I used one for a long time. Then i built my own and used that for long time. I currently use a KOT for the same purpose but I could easily live with just a stock ts9.

Last edited:

Fat Dad

Silver Supporting Member
I bought a TS7 used from GC just 'cause I had a $20 gift card from forever ago. Turns out it has some sort of mod done to it, but it rocks pretty hard. Thinkin' about puttin' some velcro on it and making it a mainstay on the board.

Top Bottom