Anyone just using clean and fuzz with nothing in between?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JDandCoke, Jun 26, 2019.

1. JDandCoke

JDandCoke Member

Pretty much the title. I know TGP is the place for having eleventy dirt pedals but is anyone out there just using ONE high gain/fuzz pedal and a clean amp?

If so... what's the rig?

James and coltonius like this.
  2. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Member

I'm pretty sure that many of us playing in cover bands use a clean platform and add pedals for the flavour of the song. I've had great result with a RAT or a Catalinbread Karma Suture and I know that Big Muff-type pedals work great with a clean amp too.
    My rig for that type of gig :
    Catalinbread Karma Suture into Carr Rambler.

3. scott58

scott58 Member

Here lately I've been digging a Muff Pi into a Laney L5.

Mcentee2 and T92780 like this.
  4. ZepFuzz05

ZepFuzz05 Supporting Member

I've started doing that more frequently - typically, I'll use a fuzz (preferably with a gated quality to its decay) on a lower gain setting to contrast with a clean sound from my solid-state Fender Champion 40. Here are a couple of recent videos as examples. . .

Clean (. . .with a bit of subtle compression from a Boss CS-3):

Fuzz (specifically, a DOD Carcosa that kicks in around 4:16):

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  5. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

I've used Vemuram Fuzz into TR Jet combo at house jams and all good. Love me some good fuzz.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    AintNoEddie likes this.
  6. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

That would describe me most of the time. Clean or amp set to break up just a touch when I dig in, and a PTD Rotobone for the “fuzz and everything in between”, using my volume knob. It’s seriously great, and a pedal I believe everyone should track down and try.

I could probably be happy with just the Rotobone forever, but did recently fall in love with the Benson Preamp and the Origin Effects Revival Drive Custom. So those are on the board too. But the Rotobone is my main squeeze and probably always will be.

Not Orange, Fretlessbaby and T92780 like this.
  7. Jwblanton

Jwblanton Supporting Member

Yes. WTF Rockett into Helix or Matchless Lightning. Also sounded great with Deluxes. Fuzz pedal that can crush but clean way up as you roll down the vol. also has boost that still works even when vol control on guitar is almost off.

Not Orange and VooDooClown like this.
  8. Jwblanton

Jwblanton Supporting Member

Haha. @YourNameHere. I just added a Benson too. Not sure it will stay around but the WTF is for sure.

your name here likes this.
  9. morgan918

morgan918 Member

Sure. I use a Shin-ei clone into a cleanish vintage Supro, sounds great. Also use an Analogman Astro-fuzz into it with good success too.

10. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

The Benson is great. Definitely a keeper for me. I like it so much, that two days after receiving it, I ordered a Benson Chimera and 2x12 cab. Haha

Jwblanton likes this.
  11. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Your Trio rocks!

Not Orange, aisling and ZepFuzz05 like this.
  12. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

I often use a clean-ish amp and an OCD. Nothing else. Guitar volume knobs do the rest.

James likes this.
  13. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

I sort of do.

I’m currently using 3 fuzz pedals and an OD but the over drive is set relatively low. I’ve heard what some people call their clean tone to be much hairier than my OD tone.

But my fuzz tones are super gained out.

So I’m either using completely clean, very light OD, or super gained out fuzz.

14. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

Man, I love the KS! I opted for the Silicon version because I understood it to be less spongy / saggy than the original.. Sure does feel like cheating though, as it makes for a fantastic shimmering overdrive as well as nasty fuzz!

Not Orange likes this.
  15. uberdave

uberdave Supporting Member

X23 RC (MInibone clone) and Ss/BS Mini into my Ashen XVI head. Use your guitar knobs!
    By the way X23(Coltonius) built a killer hybrid clone!

jimijimmyjeffy likes this.
  16. monty

monty Member

Exactly what I am doing although I have been messing with throwing a lighter OD in there.

17. Abram4235

Abram4235 Supporting Member

When I had a fat fuzz factory I would just use that and my two rock traditional clean 100w. Made for a great rig. I've since sold it though so I'm back to a 14 pedal board.

18. JDandCoke

JDandCoke Member

This has been my rig for like 10+ years, clean amp, light OD to simulate a slightly pushed amp (think, plexi on 6), some crazy fuzz.
    I've recently been considering just dropping the light OD and doing clean is clean, dirty is dirty sounds. But I'm struggling to decide on the ONE dirt pedal... maybe a rat? but it can sound a little cheesy 90s rock and can be quite thin into a clean amp... maybe a green muff, but it can have a bit too much low end and lack of dynamics. First world problems and all that.

19. Z*Z*Z

Z*Z*Z Member

Vintage fender jazzmaster + vintage shin ei fuzz wah + vintage fender deluxe reverb. Most of the time.

20. monty

monty Member

I used a Rat for that for years. Just set the amp up right with it and you'll be fine.