anyone know a place that can put together a custom "patchbay" type thing?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jrm, Feb 6, 2008.

1. jrm

jrm Member

Hello most-knowledgeable gurus:

weird question I'm sure...

At any rate, I use a custom pedalboard junction on my board to handle different routing needs (tuner mute, guitar a/b switcher, master bypass, etc...) and it is awesome. However, I'm trying to make my life even easier by finding some sort of patch bay that I can install on the side of the board I am building that will connect to the PJ and do a little more.

I'd basically like to end up with a "patchbay" (for lack of a better term) that has two inputs that connect to the guitar inputs on the PJ 9to take my guitar signal to my board), and then has an output that is connected to the output on the PJ to take my signal back to my amp

Of course, if possible I'd like to integrate other things into that patchbay (ie. a midi-coupler and 2 dc thru jacks that are fed from my pedal snake), but that might be getting too complex! Any help or direction? Or does none of this make sense?

Thanks!

2. guitarstar81

guitarstar81 Member

My MKS pedalboard came with a PatchPad patchbay. It used cheap jacks and caused hum. But I loved the idea of one spot on my board where all my cables, wrapped up into a snake, could plug into. So I modified it to my taste. Now it's two separate loops, one for pedals in front of the amp, one for pedals behind it. It has two inputs that are fooswitchable, which I use to switch between two wireless systems, one for each guitar I use live. And I upgraded the jacks to all Switchcraft jacks. To perform the mods cost me about $30. I can't imagine building one from scratch, even with the extras you're talking about, would cost that much more.

Here's what I'm talking about:

[​IMG]

3. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

So you want a custom patchbay to connect to another patch bay that connects to your pedals. Why not just get rid of the inadequate pedalboard junction and get a whole new unit so you dont have needless boxes and cables?

4. jrm

jrm Member

I understand your point, but I don't see the PJ as inadequate.. it functions very well as a tuner mute to keep my TU2 out of my chain, A/B box, and master bypass. Just looking for a way to integrate it into the board a little better. I can continue on and just plug my cables into it like I am doing, but thought I would try to improve what I have.

If you have any specific suggestions that don't involve the PJ, I'd be more than happy to hear them!

5. jrm

jrm Member

6. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Check out the patch bay units from WOBO. http://www.woboge.com I have some custom work and a stock unit from them, they are great and can do most anything you need custom if the stock units aren't just what you need.