Anyone know about Scott Grove guitar lessons?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by naccoachbob, Jan 28, 2015.

1. naccoachbob

naccoachbob Member

I came across his ebay store while looking for Waylon Jennings songbooks.
    He has 5 of Waylon's songs that he sells in a dvd or a download.
    I ordered it and it's slowly downloading, but I'm curious of opinions of his teaching style and what others might think of lesson packs.
    Thanks,
    Bob

2. huw

huw Member

Scott can be a polarising character - folks seem to love him or hate him.

I have some of his lessons that he sent me for free after I enquired about one of them (ie he sent me the one I asked about and a bunch of others too). I like them - he has a straightforward style that's refreshing.

One thing that he does (on the lessons I had) that I think is a great idea is that every example was played on a different guitar, so that if you need to fast forward through it to find a particular lick, you can see when he goes to the next one.

3. Virgman

Virgman Member

He's a pretty good player. He basically shows you how he plays it.

He's entertaining for sure.

I like the guy even though I don't agree with all his opinions.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  4. snouter

snouter Member

Honest opinion? He is funny. He is clueless in regards to many important aspects of guitars. Can he teach music theory? I doubt it. Based on the videos I have seen of him. Can he teach you how to play a boring country song? Why not just get the TAB and learn it yourself?

5. KSL

KSL Supporting Member

In my opinion, I don't think he is clueless, many statements that he makes are pretty true.

The fact is, the guy can play and has good tone, a sign of a mature musician.
    He is not simply running licks and actually took the time to develop his own style.

There's so many people online that talk sh *t but can't play worth anything.

As a note, I have no affiliation with the guy, just don't know how people can bash or hate a stranger online without a thought.

6. naccoachbob

naccoachbob Member

I'll look for some Waylon Jennings tabs, but I've found them very hard to come by.
    As to theory, in one of the lessons "I've Always Been Crazy", he calls the bridge (or chorus) the second verse and talks about how it only uses A and E vice the "first verse" which used A, D, and E. I pick up a good bit of theory in here, so I won't be getting his theory lessons.
    One thing that's putting me off is that toward the end of the first lesson he seemed so ready to get done with it that he hurried over some of the phrases, making it hard to tab out what he was doing. Another thing, the "backing tracks" he promised are actually the songs themselves by Jennings.
    Well, 5 songs for less than a fiver, you get what you pay for. I actually got more out of it, and hopefully I'll be able to put it to other songs.
    I don't find those country songs so boring. But evidently the whole world doesn't agree with me because I can't find a Waylon Jennings songbook that I can tell would have the tab in it. One book only had notation for the melody and chord shapes.
    Considering that I find it hard to locate tabs or youtube videos of tutorials on Waylon's songs, I'll keep working this until I get it.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  7. Noah

Noah Supporting Member

I bought his "Piano for guitar players" video and thought it was pretty useful.

I don't know how to play piano properly but it was a good introduction for someone like me who just wanted to mess around a bit with keyboards. He doesn't really play guitar on it so I have no idea about that.

8. kooper156

kooper156 Member

I recently read an interesting book about the history of surfing. In the early '60s, there was a type of guy who would always hang out at the beach, always had an awesome collection of the best surfbords,and knew all the terminology and discussed surfing as though he were an expert. However, he would NEVER get in the water as he would immediately embarrass himself as a total fraud. This type of guy was called a 'Hodad".

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  9. sidk47

sidk47 Member

^Are you implying that the OP is the "Hodad" of the guitar world?

10. kooper156

kooper156 Member

Not the op.

11. naccoachbob

naccoachbob Member

*chuckling* knowing I couldn't be the Hodad since I can't afford the boards, gear, etc. :)
    I understood what kooper156 was saying.
    Seriously though, he can somewhat teach it, but goes thru some things a bit too quick. Sloughs off the end part of the first song and goes so quick that I have trouble getting it down.
    But for the price, I won't complain.
    Thanks for having my back, sidk47 :)