Anyone know about Yakima and central Washington?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by jubal81, Apr 20, 2016.

1. jubal81

jubal81 Member

Considering a job opportunity in Yakima and moving from Madison,Wi. Heading out for an interview soon but I've never been to the pacific northwest at all.

I'd really appreciate any insights you guys might have on the area, suburbs to live in (heard city is kinda rough) or any tips on making a long move there on the cheap.

2. marktweedy

marktweedy In Transit® Silver Supporting Member

I went to see a Bob Dylan concert there several years ago and spent a couple days. The city was quite rough, and there was not much there. It is in a desert, and there is a bleak charm to the landscape.

I would definitely spend a couple days in and around town to see if you like it.

My knowledge of Yakima is now exhausted. Hopefully others can be of more help.

3. onyxrhino

onyxrhino Member

One of my good friends is from there. From his description, it sounds pretty rural and quiet.

4. EelEye

EelEye Gold Supporting Member

Madison is a beautiful city, great college town with lots to do.

Yakima is none of those things.

5. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

The Yakima/Ellensburg area is pretty area, dry and more sun than western WA. Almost desert in some areas nearby. It's small-ish town for sure. Yakima is not noted for being that desireable and can be a bit rough for a small town though. A lot of seasonable immigrant farm workers. Big indian reservation.
    If you like the outdoors, fishing, hiking etc the general area is good. Some music going on over there. The nearby eastern slopes of the Cascades are beautiful. Lake Chelan is fun. Seattle is over a pass and about 2.5-3 hours away.
    Western WA is green and wet , really nice in the spring/summer. Eastern WA (Yakima etc) is very dry and desert like for miles. Some nice spots though.

6. cadduc

cadduc Member

Lake Chelan is nice, but it is a desert on the eastern side of the cascades, hot and dry,
    and Yakima, is not Madison,

7. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

This...