1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone know anything about the Throbak Overdrive Boost?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by johnsfore, Feb 15, 2008.

1. johnsfore

johnsfore Member

Hi. I keep hearing really good things about the Throbak Overdrive Boost pedal but nobody I know actually has one. They're a bit pricey at $219.00 so I want to be sure its a good quality overdrive before I lay out the cash. Thanks.

2. SonicVI

SonicVI Member

I've heard good things about the Throbak. I own the Prescription Overdriver which is a bit cheaper and sounds awesome.

3. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

It's a Colorsound overdriver clone with a master volume and a germanium feature. it's a great pedal that can do a lot of cool sounds, but I never use it for overdrive. It does slight grit well though. The EQ is awesome. I either set it for a clean or semi clean boost or max it out to near fuzz. There are a lot of useable sounds with the germanium feature that I never seem to take advantage of also. I've read that you can also use it as an attenuator type effect (try searching on here to see what I'm talking about). I've used it with several amps: AC30ish, 18 watter, 4 watt single ended, Marshall and Fender voiced and solid state.

I think if you shell out the money that the resale would be close enough to merit it. I don't think you'd be disappointed with it if you bought it used.... then you could flip it for the same price if it doesn't work for you.

great pedal and the build/feature quality is superb. a real swiss army knife kind of pedal.

4. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

I've had one on my board for a couple of months and I love it. It's a great overdrive and is very flexible but the real trump card is it clean/edge of break up tone. For some reson when you set it like this it just reacts so well with the amp. The eq is outstanding letting you dial it in for any sort of amp. I've a/b'd it against so many high end pedals but for that edge of breakup tone, nothing touches it.

5. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Daniel could you share your setting for the "edge of breakup" tone-including all knob and switch positions (o'clock format for the knobs would be great). Thanks..

6. jgyn

jgyn Member

Great pedal.