Anyone know approx power consumption of 18 watt Marshall type head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by svenhoek, Dec 16, 2009.

1. svenhoek

svenhoek Supporting Member

Moving to London in a couple of weeks, thinking of bringing my Brown Note 18 Marshall clone head with me. Of course it's 240v over there so I'd need to buy a transformer/power converter. You're supposed to get 3 - 5 times the power consumption rating as a guideline, to allow head room for spikes.

Thing is, I have no idea what the power consumption is on the head, seeing as it's a hand made deal, and I'm a plug n play kinda guy. I'm hoping a 1000 watt converter will do the trick, but wondering if I should go 1500 to be safe... it's more money and heavier, so I'd rather save on both counts if possible.

Any ideas on what the watts consumed by an 18 watt tube head would be? Ballpark?

Thanks for any input!

2. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Looked at my Sunn with 2 6550's and it is rated at 140W (draw) on the back panel.
    You would be under 100W.

3. Unabender

Unabender Member

Just checked Laney VC15 (2xEL84 combo, 3 preamp tubes) power consumption, it said 50 watts. So I would assume the 50 watts is pretty much the maximum draw, as it's power fuse is also rated in the same ballpark (250mA at around 230 volts).

Marshall 18 watter should have pretty much the same draw.

4. Rockhound1984

Rockhound1984 Member

this almost sounds like a "who's buried in Grant's tomb?" kind of question. It seems so obvious that it has to be wrong! I don't want to make this sound like a smartass kind of reply but an 18 watt amp is going to put out 18 watts no matter what. An amp puts out a certain amount of power so its going to pull a certain amount of power from the wall regardless of the voltage.

So if you do the whole ohms law thing....power = current x volts;
    Now you look at the back of the amp and you see the current rating on the mains fuse and multiply it by the voltage you're gonna get a 'safe' power rating...no? I mean this should be the power level marshall doesn't want you to go over without blowing up your transformers. That's the whole point of having a fuse there, right? so if you used a converter rated a little higher than that I would think you'll be ok.

I'm sure some tech head will chime in with the exact answer but i don't think i'm going to be off by all that much.

Jeffrow

5. DCH

DCH Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure your power consumption for that 18 Watt is going to be in the 80-watt ballpark. I lived in London for years, and had a couple of 500-watt converters that I never had problems with. Would often run an amp plus some other US-made gear off of one converter. Coming back the other way, I have had a 500-watt 120-to-240 converter to run a pair of monoblock 2xEL84 hi-fi amps off of, and never had any heat issues with that. You might be better with two 500-watt units rather than one 1000-watter, if you are taking other US-rated gear that you want to run elsewhere in the house.

6. andrekp

andrekp Member

Rather than a converter, I'd consider just buying a new PT over there from one of the overseas 18 watt cloners. You might even find one that switches between 120/240. Should be easy to find - otherwise check with the guys over at 18watt.com.

7. svenhoek

svenhoek Supporting Member

Thanks for all the input! Think I'll give the 500 watt a try... I need to get a converter either way to run a few things I'll be bringing... keyboard, tonelab, hard drives, etc.