Anyone know how long a 9v batt. can be expected to last in an OD pedal...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mrpinter, May 11, 2015.

1. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

with a low power consumption? I'm thinking of the EQD Speaker Cranker, which they specify as having a mere 2mA power draw. I should think a battery would last a very long time in that pedal - but does anyone have experience to have more than a guess? I know it's going to be dependent on how much usage it gets... so I'm hoping for an estimate in hours. What about something like a TC Electronic Polytene 2 - listed as having a 45mA power draw?

2. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Alkaline = 565mah
    Zinc-carbon= 400mah
    Lithium= 1200 mah

mAh is one-thousandth of an amper per hour and all above ratings are typical specs that may vary a bit brand to brand.

3. Whalestone

Whalestone Member

4. Ron

Ron Supporting Member

So, the answer is 50-100 hours for a pedal that needs 2ma, and about an hour for a pedal that needs 50ma - if you use a Duracell copper top battery.

5. mrpinter

Thanks fellas. So the 2mA Speaker Cranker would last, with moderate use, a couple months or so (considering my usage) but the Polytune 2 would be over with before that. A tuner is tricky though... how often and how long is it actually on for tuning? Unless it is drawing power when it is just plugged in and draining the battery the whole time. Any answer for this?

6. WillLane

WillLane Member

Most pedals I know of will drain battery if a cable is plugged in. Why not just get a 1-spot?

7. Bennihana

Bennihana Member

Isn't the pedal still sucking battery life when it's being bypassed? Like, as long as there is a cable plugged in to the input it will soak battery life?

Edit: someone said it at the same time as me

8. mrpinter

The answer is that I HAVE a couple of One Spot power adapters and a couple of boards wired up with their daisy chains. I just switched several of my boards to using the PT Volto because I'd rather not have to find and access more plugins than is absolutely necessary. And for the board I have in mind for the Speaker Cranker and Polytune 2, it's also going to hold a Hughes & Kettner Tube Rotosphere, which has it's own dedicated wall wart power supply; plus I will be using a pair of amps when I use the Rotosphere. Using batteries would cut down on the need for a lot of outlets. I guess I could continue to use a power strip to plug everything into, but I just like the idea of fewer wires.

9. mrpinter

Hey, thanks Stratobuc - I just ordered one.

10. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

It saves a lot of time checking battery life with the battery in the device, and also measures and displays remaining battery life. I used to use a multi meter to measure battery current, but this is way better for me.

11. tuj

tuj Member

lithium is a great way to get consistency; I find their output is more consistent as they drain than alkaline batteries.