Anyone know how to mod a Menatone Blue Collar to have less gain?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by joeysmac, Mar 4, 2008.

1. joeysmac

joeysmac Member

Any help or advice is wanted! I love the tone of my Blue Collar, I would just like to have a bigger usable range with the gain knob than the first 20%. I've never modded a pedal before, so if you have any suggestions, please be as descriptive as possible...pics are great too :AOK... Thanks for any advice!!!

2. bestegw

bestegw Member

From what I could find on the net, the Blue Collar is a gritty TS-derivative. That would make the IC opamp the first part to start experimenting with and you could probably do that yourself!!!

I've had great results with TS-like pedals when replacing the opamp with a Burr Brown-opamp like the OPA2604, which sounds warm and dynamic. Other, more commom options would be the JRC448, the TI RC4558, the TL072 and the LF353 opamps. Other options involving soldering would be changing the clipping diodes or the bass-treble response.

You might loose the character of your pedal along the ride, so be careful!!

BTW, is it gooped? PM?

BESTEGW

3. joeysmac

joeysmac Member

Thanks Best...any other suggestions out there?

4. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

It's hard to say without a schematic. If it's a TS variant as I've heard, you might increase the resistor value in the negative feedback loop to reduce gain. You'd also have to decrease adjacent capacitor's value to keep the same frequency response. But again, without a schematic it's hard to say where to begin.

5. Guitarplayerdan

Guitarplayerdan Member

6. M I K E D.

M I K E D. Supporting Member

you may want to consider a red snapper in addition to a BC; it does the low gain thing you're looking for and is a monster clean boost as well

-then you can have your cake and eat it too!