• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Anyone know if Kemper was used for Muse Live in Rome?

Bruce Lychee

I know Matt has been using Kempers instead of amps on tour lately, but I was wondering if anyone knows if he relied solely on a Kemper for the Live in Rome recording. Not my favorite setlist, but it's a great live DVD for muse fans. I'm particularly interested in comparing the tone of some songs found on both he Rome DVD and their earlier live recordings.

alltogether

This is apparently his rig for the latest tour, seems safe to say the Kemper was used. I guess nobody knows for sure though.

db9091

Gold Supporting Member
It's replaced a Marshall, Diezel and Egnater for live work. There was a time not a year ago that would have shocked the hell out of me.

CKemper

True.
They used over a dozen Profilers for the recent tour. They ran all guitar amp and bass amp sounds with the Profiler with no exception.
They have picked up two more units from the NAMM show yesterday for their recording studios ....

Richard-

True.
They used over a dozen Profilers for the recent tour. They ran all guitar amp and bass amp sounds with the Profiler with no exception.
They have picked up two more units from the NAMM show yesterday for their recording studios ....
Rack or lunchbox for the studio?

Bruce Lychee

True.
Thanks for the information! That's great to hear that they have the confidence to be running Kempers all the way. I've seen them 8 times since 2004 and they have never sounded better than they did when I saw them most recently on the 2nd Law tour.

The bass and guitar sound amazing on the Rome DVD. Love the take of Hysteria included on there.

I can't imagine a better band to have using your gear. Matt is truly an exceptional talent and their live shows just leave you speechless.

db9091

Gold Supporting Member
Here is my take on Muse using digital modelers:

1) Muse is one of the best bands in the world but for the reason they push the edge. Doing so entail staying current with audio technology.
2) It's coming. Amp holdouts have to realize that Digital WILL be the norm, just like Pro Tools is the Norm. This is the beginning of the digital amp era for Professionals who CAN afford the best and choose Digital because it is lighter, more versatile, less troublesome, exacting, etc.

Last edited:

effectsman

1) Muse is one of the best bands in the world but for the reason they push the edge. Doing so entail staying current with audio technology.
2) It's coming. Amp holdouts have to realize that Digital WILL be the norm, just like Pro Tools is the Norm. This is the beginning of the digital amp era for Professionals who CAN afford the best and choose Digital because it is lighter, more versatile, less troublesome, exacting, etc.
I agree with you, albeit reluctantly because of my attachment to tube amps. But I think you are right. Pete Townsend commissioned Jim Marshall to make the first 8x12" cab (which was then cut in two to make 2 4x12" cabs) and higher powered 100W Marshall head, in response to the demands of the day for more volume from the stage. That was back in the 60's. Think how audio set ups have changed since then with the advent of high powered PA systems, and will continue to change.

In 20 years time the kind of boxes that people plug into and the speaker systems used to fill venues will have continued to move on. Digital will be the standard in amongst that.

db9091

Gold Supporting Member
I agree with you, albeit reluctantly because of my attachment to tube amps. But I think you are right. Pete Townsend commissioned Jim Marshall to make the first 8x12" cab (which was then cut in two to make 2 4x12" cabs) and higher powered 100W Marshall head, in response to the demands of the day for more volume from the stage. That was back in the 60's. Think how audio set ups have changed since then with the advent of high powered PA systems, and will continue to change.

In 20 years time the kind of boxes that people plug into and the speaker systems used to fill venues will have continued to move on. Digital will be the standard in amongst that.
I think there will be tube amps for a looong time. Perhaps ever. Same with books. Same now with Vinyl's resurgence.

I'm all digital Kindle stuff now. I went into a book store, having been a book lover all my life, and walked out with nothing. Never did that.

Yet my daughter, as digital as her generation is one the phone, LOVES physical books and physical organizers for planning. So there will always be those minority but paying preferences keeping a fringe industry alive.

tgp100

Thanks for the information! That's great to hear that they have the confidence to be running Kempers all the way. I've seen them 8 times since 2004 and they have never sounded better than they did when I saw them most recently on the 2nd Law tour.

The bass and guitar sound amazing on the Rome DVD. Love the take of Hysteria included on there.

I can't imagine a better band to have using your gear. Matt is truly an exceptional talent and their live shows just leave you speechless.
Some nice guitar and bass sounds in these two Muse live shows as well with their kemper profilers.
Do you know if Matt Bellamy use that light changing pad on his signature guitar seen here for sounds also or is it just for looks?

Muse - Live, War Child 20th Anniversary Show, Shepherd's Bush Empire 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jiro61UjbB4
Muse - Live at iTunes Festival 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlGJdKxvLSU

mattball826

lol. i suppose you never heard of sequoia, logic pro, digital performer? most of which rank higher in use than pro tools native from a professional standpoint.

protools native is not at all anything like hdx rigs which may be somewhat standardized in even small studios. many platforms and great daw options today and many studios carry several daw versions to accommodate client needs.

pro tools native outsells some other daws but have lost ground since they lagged for years what other companies were doing performance wise. took how many years to get to 64 bit? lol.

of course like most high demand products its also the reason pt upgrades are double what most other daw updates charge. because they can.

nonetheless all are digital daw programs which equate to digital use.

what will be a long time are the audio hardware used in pro mastering, mix buses, channel strips, preamps, etc etc etc that you find racked up in most studios. they do not like digital plugins for most of their pro work. that analog gear is used to fix the digital sound including what is recorded into and mixed on pro tools.

db9091

Gold Supporting Member
lol. i suppose you never heard of sequoia, logic pro, digital performer? most of which rank higher in use than pro tools native from a professional standpoint.

protools native is not at all anything like hdx rigs which may be somewhat standardized in even small studios. many platforms and great daw options today and many studios carry several daw versions to accommodate client needs.

pro tools native outsells some other daws but have lost ground since they lagged for years what other companies were doing performance wise. took how many years to get to 64 bit? lol.

of course like most high demand products its also the reason pt upgrades are double what most other daw updates charge. because they can.

nonetheless all are digital daw programs which equate to digital use.

what will be a long time are the audio hardware used in pro mastering, mix buses, channel strips, preamps, etc etc etc that you find racked up in most studios. they do not like digital plugins for most of their pro work. that analog gear is used to fix the digital sound including what is recorded into and mixed on pro tools.
The point of the thread was digital modeling of amps for live performance, which was what my comments were referring to. Digital replacement of analog amps for live performance.

I wasn't talking about DAW's or Plugins, which have been using digital to replace hardware for years now, whether it be tape emulations, compressors, eq, reverb, etc, etc.

Wait, was your post meant for someone else? The subject doesn't make sense.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom