• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Anyone know of a easy tube tester I can use?

kimos55

Follow your dreams turst your heart
Gold Supporting Member
I have 9 amps, I have swapped tubes around but I don't really know how to test my tubes,
Anyone know of a good not too expensive tube tester that is easy to understand and use?

jawajt

I have 9 amps, I have swapped tubes around but I don't really know how to test my tubes,
Anyone know of a good not too expensive tube tester that is easy to understand and use?
If you can find one in good shape, I’d look for a vintage one. I have one from the 60s and it works great. I lucked out and got one for about $40. If you check flea markets, antique stores, etc, you’ll probably find a nice one.

rawkguitarist

You can test them with a multimeter.
Is there a place one could learn to do this?

Also, there's that new Orange tube tester.
I had suspected one of my NOS GE 6V6's was going out... confirmed this morning when the amp went quiet. I'd sure like to be able to pull tubes that I'm concerned about and test them. I had planned to gig this amp this weekend - luckily I decided to play through it.

If there's a way to do it with a multi meter I'd love to know. Seems like the tests would be limited since you don't have high voltages?

Any other suggestions?

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
The Orange is the easiest, it just costs around $400.

As others have said, if you look around you can find a vintage one for cheaper, that probably works. Then you have to read up on how to use it.

FlyingVBlues

Platinum Supporting Member
I have one of the Orange testers along with a MaxiMatcher II and a MaxiPremap II. The Orange device is very simple to use but in my experience it produces some false negatives (i.e. reporting that a bad tube is good), which is why I bought the 2 Maxi testers. I had several instances where a installing a supposedly good power tube has resulted in a blown fuse. However, I do think it’s a pretty useful device for the money.

If you buy a vintage tube tester it probably has drifted from the calibration specs and may not produce accurate results. There are a few companies, such as Vintage Tube Restoration (https://vintagetubeelectronics.com/tube-tester-restoration/), that can fix and calibrate old Hickok, Precision and Weston tube testers.

Last edited:

rawkguitarist

Its never simple is it? :rolleyes:

Tube testing doesn't matter to me one bit until a set of NOS go bad right before a gig. But still not convinced its worth the money for a tester.

FlyingVBlues

Platinum Supporting Member
Is there a place one could learn to do this?

Also, there's that new Orange tube tester.
I had suspected one of my NOS GE 6V6's was going out... confirmed this morning when the amp went quiet. I'd sure like to be able to pull tubes that I'm concerned about and test them. I had planned to gig this amp this weekend - luckily I decided to play through it.

If there's a way to do it with a multi meter I'd love to know. Seems like the tests would be limited since you don't have high voltages?

Any other suggestions?
Some very basic tests to identify a shorted tube without a tube tester. If you read the comments on YouTube the limitations of doing this are discussed.

Last edited:

Trending Topics