Anyone know of a good (beginner's) amp repair book?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by cristobalwj, Jun 17, 2008.

1. cristobalwj

cristobalwj Member

Hey guys,

I'm just getting into amp repair/pedal building/general DIY musical electronics, and I was looking for a good book to get started.

I'm no engineer, but at the same time I've done my fair share of physics and other hard sciences, along with some outside reading on amps. I'm willing to put in the time to understand higher-level books, as long as they aren't working towards a graduate-level engineering audience. Anyone ever been in my position, and if so, what got you started? I'm especially looking for understandable explanations of circuit diagrams and explanations of the parts I'd be handling. I've got a simple old West tube amp I'll be tinkering away on, if that makes any difference. Frankly I'm more interested in the practical aspect than the theoretical, though at the same time I understand they're related and I'll need to dabble in the theoretical. I'd just like this book to directly inform my work on this amp, not only tell me what the insides of any amp might look like (as the few I've grabbed from the library have, giving me no insight as to how I should go about working on an amp in the real world).

On a related note, any particularly good - and affordable - soldering kits someone knows of? I'm just going to grab a mid-range one unless I hear there're problems I should be aware of.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

2. jay42

jay42 Member

3. cristobalwj

cristobalwj Member

Hey, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for - thanks a lot!

4. sliberty

sliberty Member

Has anyone ever found the last three chapters online? The ones with the amp schematics?

5. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

6. jdh

jdh Supporting Member

The Jack Darr book has been reprinted. It is worth every penny.