anyone know of a VERY good repair tech in L.A. ?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by dazco, May 3, 2020.

1. dazco

dazco Member

I'd really like to find someone who specializes in acoustics in the los angeles area for a bridge re-glue. This guitar is really important to me and a bridge re-glue can ruin a guitar's tone if not done right, so i don't want to take any chances with a tech who's not top shelf. Not gonna ship it so it;s gotta be in my area. Thanks.

2. nickelwound

nickelwound Supporting Member

Mike at McCabes music in Santa Monica. Did a good job on loose binding a new bone saddle and a setup on my Guild.

mrpinter likes this.
  3. dazco

dazco Member

Good call, didn't think of them but given the nature of McCabes i should have ! I emailed them and asked, tho not sure if i would have to wait till this effin pandemic crap is over. Thanks.

4. bluesdale

bluesdale Supporting Member

Bill Asher of Asher guitars does very fine work if you can get in. If not, he knows another guy he trusts and can refer you to. Bill does a lot of work for guys like Jackson Browne, David Crosby, Neil Young and that crowd.

flantrax, sgelectric and Aloha Mark like this.
  5. stark

stark Supporting Member

Sammy Sanchez

6. Bigswede

Bigswede Member

I've sent a lot of people with nice old guitars to Boulevard music in Culver city with no complaints.

7. edward

edward Supporting Member

Hey dazco,

You decide on a tech yet? Eric at Eric's Guitars in Northridge, and Norik Renson at Renson Guitars in Studio City are superb, and I mean superb!

I've used both, and both on several occasions, and they not only do outstanding work, but they are superb at working with you. FWIW, I once went to a "very notable" luthier/tech many years ago whose name most everyone here would know, and he gave me excuse over excuse for delay upon delay, and ultimately I realized I wasn't important enough for him as he has high-end clientele (such a jerk, but I'll keep his lousy name off of here despite his crap attitude). I took my guit back from that shmuck and have been very satisfied with both Eric and Norik ...they will deliver and treat you as a valued customer.

Edward

8. dazco

dazco Member

Would his initials be JC by any chance?

9. gearitis

gearitis Gold Supporting Member

I'm in need of someone to do some acoustic repairs that are beyond just the basics.

I've used both Norik and Eric for my electric guitars, but I hadn't thought of either of them to work on my acoustic. Are they as good working on acoustic guitars as they are on electrics?

10. edward

edward Supporting Member

^^^To my memory, Eric has worked on only my electrics, though Norik has worked on two of my acoustics in the past. But I personally have utmost confidence in both: these guys are more than techs, they are craftsmen whose top-notch skills are matched by a genuine pride in their work. At least that's how I see it when I have conversed with them, and then get the results. In fact, Eric refuses to let me leave the shop until I have played it through and I am fully satisfied. That's a testament to craftsmanship as well as valuing the customer.

Edward

gearitis likes this.
  11. edward

edward Supporting Member

Pm'd you bro :)

12. TeleDawg

TeleDawg Member

If Huntington Beach isn't too far...13th Street Guitars is great. Hugh is the owner and does a great and timely job. He is HONEST too. Good guy and good work all around. No complaints. If it is a simple quick fix, he'll just say "wait here a minute, I'll fix it right now." ALSO...he has a Plek machine if you want perfection with your frets. $125.00 most recently.

13. Robal

Robal Supporting Member

Sammy Sanchez.

14. feet

feet Supporting Member

Contact info and location for Sammy? Google isn't giving me that.

Any good names in the Downey/Lynnwood/Lakewood area? Mostly seeing guys named by the beaches or in the valley.

15. Robal

Robal Supporting Member

Sammy works out of a location in Glendora (if that's not too far for you), and you can probably contact him through The Frethouse in Covina, if they are answering the phone during the COVID shutdown. See https://frethouse.com/pages/service-shop

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  16. feet

feet Supporting Member

That distance at those hours might not happen for me. I work nights, so someone that opens really early or stays open kinda late is best if I have to drive a ways. Not much anywhere near me; Santa Monica or OC beaches seem to be the closest. I might have to go back to my old guy in Toluca lake at this rate.

17. flantrax

flantrax Supporting Member

Another vote for Bill Asher. Does amazing work on all types of instruments

18. PGLive

PGLive True Tone will only be achieved in Heaven Silver Supporting Member

Sammy Sanchez in Glendora is hands down the best. Ask Billy Gibbons, Steve Lukather, Larry Carlton, Robben Ford and many more. His setups are couples bucks more but well worth it. A very cool dude too.

19. FXPedal.com

FXPedal.com Member

Tina Wood at The Amp Shop / Bass Exchange. She’s a trained luthier and absolute master at her craft. The only knock is it may take 6 weeks to get your guitar back.

losangeles33 likes this.
  20. bogner100b

bogner100b Supporting Member

Perfect Guitar & Amp Repair
    5 Stars ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ all over Yelp.