Anyone know of any fat-necked, 2 x P90, mahogany body guitars under $1000 (new/used)?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tonedaddy, Sep 3, 2006.

1. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    From my search, I can't find any Les Paul Specials with a fat neck from Gibson currently priced (new or used) under $1000. I can find a fat neck Special from the Custom Shop used for about $500 more, but no luck at the lower price range.

From what I've found, the faded Specials would work great, but the ones I've found have always had a 60's slim taper neck. I need a beefy/fat 50's profile, the bigger the better.

So I'm expanding my search into other models/brands.

Any ideas/brands/models?
    And I'd like to stick with a mahogany body if possible.

Pickup quality is not that important, I'm willing to drop in Lollars, etc, if needed.
    Fat neck and good wood is very important.

I had a used Melancon P90 Pro that met every one of my criteria, and was in that price range, but sold it because the neck was too thin. Anyone ever seen one with a fat neck?

Thanks!

2. fatback

fatback Member

Some of those overseas PRS guitars might fit your bill.

3. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

Hadn't thought of them, thanks!

Keep the ideas coming!

4. straightblues

straightblues Member

There are some Hamers that fit that bill. Fat necks aren't as common but they are out there.

5. tonedrip

tonedrip Member

I understand some of the Gibson LP Special DC faded have 50's profile necks.

I don't know how this works because many are more of a 60's slim taper, or perhaps slightly in between . That's how mine feels anyway. I did a search on the LPF before buying mine , and that's where I saw several owners chiming in about their guitar having a fatter 50's type neck.

If you can find one to your liking , I can vouch they are great bang for buck tone machines. $769 new !

I'm new to the club , but it's true ...there's nothing like mahogany and p90 tone.

Good luck !

6. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I have one of those newer Les Paul juniors that I bought for $500 or $550. I'm thinking that would be cool to have another P90 put on it.

7. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

tonedaddy,

I very briefly played on of the PRS SE II Soapbar guitars last month. I just wish I had plugged the thing in!

Definitely a fatter neck than a strat but "fat" is subjective. I agree with fatback, they're definitely worth a look.

Just don't do what I did...PLUG IT IN!!!!:jo

Good Luck

8. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I'm a big fan of Hamers, and I've found P90 Studios, but all of them have had necks. A fat neck P90 Studio would definitely work.

I'll keep my eyes open, though, thanks!

9. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I've heard the same thing about fat neck DC Fadeds existing. I just haven't found one, and they're definitely spec'd as a slim 60's taper neck. I wouldn't be surprised if they're out there, again I just haven't found one.

After I heard of them existing, I called a number of Guitar Centers, but no one had seen any. I like the light weight of most of the Fadeds I've played, too.

Great value, for sure! I think a fat neck spec'd Faded Special would sell very well, but I suspect Gibson would fear it cutting into Historic sales.

10. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I really need to check those out.
    I've never played one, as I wasn't interested when I saw them hanging on the walls of stores I've been in. Heard very good reviews of them, though.

If I see one, I'll plug it in for ya!
    :D

11. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

12. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

tonedaddy- email/pm me. I have exactly what you are looking for. LPDC Faded, TV Yellow, 50's neck carve. (special ordered by dealer). The neck is roughly a '59 profile. Not quite as big as my 01 58 Lp Std RI. Gibby Gigbag, and the Gibby box.

13. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

The Gibson SG Classics are around 850.00 and have a great fat neck,P90,s and sounds very good I have One and its very good.Play one at your music store and its great value for the buck.

14. TestierWheat

TestierWheat Member

+1 for the SG Classic. I absolutely love the neck on mine.

I had a PRS McCarty Soapy Standard. The neck wasn't as big as my SG's and the pickups were a little to hot for my liking.

15. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

Cool, email sent!

16. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

One of the GC's I called mentioned these, but I haven't played one.
    I need to fix that!
    :AOK

17. blong

blong Supporting Member

I would recommend the PRS SE Soapy.

One not previously mentioned but can be found for a great price (used $200 - 250) and is an incredible value is the Godin LG-90, or something like that.

It is a Godin, mahogany body, 2 P-90 pups, and just rocks. They have two different neck profiles, one thin and one fat. The fat neck is FAT like a 50's Les Paul, but it is a killer guitar. Look for one.

Bob

18. tonedrip

tonedrip Member

Another avenue to finding a fat neck LPS faded, is to post a WTB thread here, and especially on the LPF. Perhaps post as well on the'guitars in general' and ask where people have seen fat neck LPS faded guitars for sale.

19. sw686blue

sw686blue Member

How about this all mahogany semi-hollow Hamer Artist? Chunky neck and rips!!

[​IMG]

Forgot to mention. Silver sparkle is no longer available and kinda hard to come by.