Anyone know someone who is very good at editing drums?

Teleking

Silver Supporting Member
I have a song that had a few bad hits, and it's the most basic rock beat. I've never attempted to edit drums before, but I figured with such a simple drum beat, this would be a good first start.

I was wrong.....

I'm afraid I'll do more harm than good at this point.

There aren't many bad hits (5-6 kick drum), so it would be very easy for someone to edit who knows what they're doing. It's played to a click.

I'd be willing to pay for their time. I need it done quickly as this project is going off to master in two weeks and I still need to record a few parts after the drums are edited.

I really need to find someone who knows what they're doing because I don't have the time to find out someone doesn't, if that makes sense.

If you know someone, please PM me. Thanks

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
The easiest thing to do is this -- don't try to "fix" the bad part, just find a good part where the drummer is playing the same thing and try to copy it and paste it over the bad part.

Short of that process, fixing drums can be very hard because you have so many sounds on one track. ProTools has a tool called "Beat Detective" that will fix drums (I have seen it work in videos) but I have never personally figured out how to use it. I always use the first method.

If you can't do it, call some local studios and ask them if they know how to use beat detective to fix drums. An experienced engineer should be able to do it.

TJT79

This may be a stupid question, so I apologise in advance....

Would it not be easier to just pay a drummer to come in and re-record it properly?

jmoose

Not to toot my own horn but I'm pretty good at this stuff, as in people have been paying me for well over a decade. Time frame kinda sucks, it'd be next week before I could touch it. Why book mastering when there's still lots of work to be done? Makes little sense to me...

Anyway if you want get in touch, I'll listen to a stereo mix and tell me what areas need help and why before anything further. Keep in mind, it's not always easy. Especially if this is the project you were talking about a few weeks ago, with the band tracking live in the room fixes might be impossible. Depends on how bad the goof is.

Teleking

Silver Supporting Member
Not to toot my own horn but I'm pretty good at this stuff, as in people have been paying me for well over a decade. Time frame kinda sucks, it'd be next week before I could touch it. Why book mastering when there's still lots of work to be done? Makes little sense to me...

Anyway if you want get in touch, I'll listen to a stereo mix and tell me what areas need help and why before anything further. Keep in mind, it's not always easy. Especially if this is the project you were talking about a few weeks ago, with the band tracking live in the room fixes might be impossible. Depends on how bad the goof is.
It's been taken care of. A member here reached out to me this AM and did a fantastic job taking care of it. Not sure he wants to be exposed, so I won't mention his "handle," but thanks, Ron.

No, it's not the live thing I mentioned. Our first crack at that is on Wednesday.

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
Do you mind telling us how the fix was accomplished? Depending on how long the "messed up" section is, I would normally guess I could have it fixed in under five minutes (using the copy/paste method). That is the beauty of recording to a grid (click track).

mattball826

If the hits are recorded separately (kick on its own track) then it's fairly easy to move them in time. Just turn off any snap features from the track pane. Bleeds from other mics can be handled easy too. Just find the transient, and clean up the rest.

I usually spend a fair amount of time cleaning up mic bleed from toms, OH's and ambient room mics.

Trending Topics