• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Anyone know the difference, between the p'ups in a PRS DGT...

saf_1

and 57/08's. I know what 57/08's are, but I'm not sure what the deal is with the DGT humbuckers. I know they are custom wound to David Grissom's spec's, but are they like a vintage PAF? Similar to the '08's? Magnet's? I know you can split the coils - but what are the other differences? If anyone has any details, I'd appreciate you passing them along.

jetydosa

They are a tad hotter but in the same ballpark. The DGTs split better IMHO.
I have a thread somewhere on here where I put the 5708s in my DGT, I said something to the effect of the DGTs were more "Texas" and the 5708s more "Fillmore".

saf_1

Which are hotter - '08's or DGT's? I would think the '08's would be slightly hotter. I not actually trying to decide between pickups, as much as I am guitars. I am getting ready to spring for either a DGT or a Stripped '58. I know they are completely different instruments, but I figure they should be similar tonally. I like LP's, and I've owned a bunch of Historic LP's, as well as a PRS SC245 - so the Stripped '58 has a lot of appeal (and I like the 57/08's), but I also like the versatility and tones of the DGT. I've owned a couple of McCarty's and was just luke-warm about them, but with the trem, electronics, and neck carve, the DGT is a different animal. I am looking at used not new, so the DGT is probably also going to be a couple hundred less (on average) than the '58. I want something with that vintagey LP vibe, and wonder if the DGT would give me that - plus the added versatility of the trem and coil-split - but also want to be sure I'd be as happy with the tone from the DGT's pickups, as I would the 08's. I have played a DGT, btw, but have never had a chance to play a Stripped '58.

bobotwt

Silver Supporting Member
I have two DGTs that I have gigged many times. I find the pickups a little hot, though they do sound great. I would just prefer something with a bit lower output. I also may be alone in this but I think the DGT sounds a bit closer to a 335 than a les paul to me. It may be partially due to the trem but it has a bit more of that airy hollow flub than the super thunk midrange of a les paul. This is both good and bad depending on what you're looking for.

Josh

bkatx

I have two DGTs that I have gigged many times. I find the pickups a little hot, though they do sound great. I would just prefer something with a bit lower output. I also may be alone in this but I think the DGT sounds a bit closer to a 335 than a les paul to me. It may be partially due to the trem but it has a bit more of that airy hollow flub than the super thunk midrange of a les paul. This is both good and bad depending on what you're looking for.

Josh
I've read the DGT pups were modeled after Grissom's 335. I've never gotten to play personally but that's what I've heard.

Tonaholic

I've read the DGT pups were modeled after Grissom's 335. I've never gotten to play personally but that's what I've heard.

Yeah, but they're not meant to make the guitar sound like a 335. It's definitely got a bit of the flub from the trem, through and is a good mix of the iconic Gibson/Fender tones while being on the Texas hot side of things. I'm guessing the mags are A2. Bridge is supposedly wound near 9k. I love it.

Ape Factory

DGT's are def. hotter and can be as hot as 59/09's which are a step up from 57/08's. They all have different sound characteristics. For me, the covered 59/09's and DGT's are the bees knees.

Forgot to mention...I had a set of DGT pickups in my ES335 and it was an angry, angry animal with those pups. I "settled" on the 59/09s as they were a bit clearer and I couldn't sell the 59/09's as they were original pickups in my Paul's Dirty 100.

kingsleyd

Frikkin genyus
Platinum Supporting Member
The DGT bridge pickup is hotter than either the 57/08 or the 59/09 bridge. (in terms of DC resistance, measured off the guitar's output)

But the DGT neck pickup is weaker than either the 57/08 or the 59/09.

The DGT bridge pickup has a noticeable midrange honk, especially compared to a 57/08. That said, the 57/08s have varied across years and across models -- some runs of PRS guitars with 57/08s have had the pickups tweaked a bit for that run. (e.g., the "Dallas McCarty" runs from 2010, which had 57/08s that were a bit overwound)

Puckbucker

I agree with kingsleyd's comments. I have a DGT and another PRS with 57/08s. The DGT bridge is hotter but (to my ears) the overall tone of the DGT (esp. middle pup setting) is close to a cross between a strat and an LP - meaning its a humbucker but with more detail - more open sounding in thes sense of a more acoustic tone (vs. a creamy compressed tone).

The 57/08s I have are good but may hale from 2010 and are on an MEII. They are fairly hot and while I like em' I wish they were a bit less so.

Ape Factory

Here are some measurements for various DGT and 59/09's I've had. The 57/08's are weaker overall than the 59/09's whereas the neck 57/08 is probably at or a bit stronger than a DGT neck.

2012 DGT, all stock...
7.41B
8.71T

DGT pickups (not sure what year), set number 2...
7.65B
9.02T

59/09's, set number one...
8.36B
9.15T

59/09's, set number two...
7.88B
8.65T

59/09's set number three...
8.30B
8.87T

Roe

yes, the 5708 neck has higher dc resistance than the DGT. If I remember correctly, its something like 7.8k or higher (versus 7.4k for the newer dgts). magnets on dgts appear to be modern a2, whereas 5708s has a5, possibly vintage/weaker a5

Jedi

The DGTs are hotter, however I too like low output pickups but the DGTs give me the best of both worlds somehow. YMMV.

Top Bottom