Anyone know the origins of the "Why no Love for..." threads?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by StompBoxBlues, Feb 24, 2009.

1. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I'm an american that has been living in Norway for the last 16 years, so when I travel "home" the US again now and then I notice different catch phrases, word usage, etc. that are new to me (in other words, I'm out of touch) and that I find strange.

One that started some 10 or more years ago is people telling each other "You need to...." when the real meaning is "you ought to..." or something. Need is really specific, everyone now seems to say that when actually almost never does the person "need" to do what is being relayed.

Other things, like catch-phrases, like when I was young we'd have "well Excuuuuse me" from Steve Martins TV bits, people from other countries had no idea what that meant...etc.

So, I got to wondering where the threads that all start "Why no love for ..." (referring to a pedal, or band, etc.). Anyone know if this is just local to this forum, or more widespread, or just in the general jargon now?
    It seems a strange thing to say, would be more natural for me to say "how come people don't seem to like (discuss) this?"

Anyone know when you first heard this or where it came from (tv?)...

2. Yngtchie Blacksteen

Yngtchie Blacksteen Member

I first heard it on various forums, most prominently on Harmony Central. I can't say that I know the origins of this phrase, but I reckon its use in forums is fairly recent.

Speaking of lingo, how's your Norwegian? :knitting

3. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Tja....jeg snakker nesten utelukket norsk, men tar gramatiske feil her og der. Noen sier jeg hører ikke ut som amerikansk, fordi jeg utaler "rrr"'ene nesten riktig (hadde problemer med "kj" men det går bedre nå) men hvis jeg snakker en stund så vet alle nordmenn at jeg ikke er norsk.

4. Yngtchie Blacksteen

Ganske uvanlig med amerikanere bosatt i Norge, ihvertfall i så mange år. Litt trøblete skriftlig norsk, men jeg har hørt at norsk ikke er blant de enkleste språkene å lære seg, rent grammatisk.

But yeah, sorry to hijack the thread. I think it's an interesting topic, because Internet language differs quite a bit from our everyday spoken language, and I don't mean the "omg lolz" approach. A lot of the stuff we say online would sound weird if used in a spoken conversation, but not vice versa.

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

The worst is, when I visit home, visit with friends I often throw an
    "ikke sant?" in the conversation now and again (it means "right?" or "you know?"). It's better now but as I was cramming to learn norwegian I was so immersed in it, when I was in the US wanting to try on some pants I was going to buy I asked the salesperson "where are your...um...trying rooms?" which I knew wasn't right.

I also asked a clerk for "20 marlboro lights" which they thought was a LOT to buy seperately (here in norway you ask for a pack of 20 or pack of 10 because they are so expensive, so you shorten it to just ask for "20".)

That "you need to..." in the US really bugs me. It seems intrusive. I know I am just overreacting, but I think it sounds terrible, that they presume to tell you what you need to do.

A while back everyone seemed to be doing the "He-llooo" bit.
    We get a lot of US television and films, but I think a lot of catch phrases come from commercials...I finally caught on to "Wassup..." etc.

We have them here in Norway too ("bob-bob") but not as often and they don't seem to last as long.
    Just saw one at the state liquor store ("vinmonopolet") where I realized if I was just fresh in Norway,
    "hvis du er under 25, vis leg!" ("if you are under 25, show ID"), their word for ID is "legitimasjon" (legitimation?)
    and it gets shortened with slang to "leg". If you look in older dictionaries, leg is just like in the US, your leg.
    So new in Norway, I might wonder why I have to lift my leg up and show it to the clerk when buying a bottle of wine,
    but I'm over 25 so...

6. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Probably the same moron who first went on a discussion board and asked "What's the best ____?"

7. Yngtchie Blacksteen

Haha, I love those observations, mainly because they're so true. :D

Btw, where in the US do you originate?

8. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I believe the origins of the phrase are "urban".

Think "Show me the money".

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Originaly Chicago, from birth, to '79, then hitch-hiked out to California (northern) and lived there for some years, then to Norway in Nov. 1992.

10. whitehall

whitehall Member

I believe it's a homosexual thing. Which would explain why it shows up in these chat rooms so much.-- lol

11. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

The "Recommend me a (fill in the blank)" threads that chap my ass...

12. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

Yeah, sounds like hip hop lingo to me (and explains why I hate the phrase).

13. mockoman

mockoman Member

Me likey,I think it's teh sex