Anyone Know what is up with QuinnAmp ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dumdeediddle, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Dumdeediddle

Dumdeediddle Member

Put in an Order for a Pedal awhile back.They were nice enough when taking my Money. It is now a bit overdue and I have written asking about an ETA. A little worried, as I didn't want it arriving while I was gone for the Holidays (Sitting on my Doorstep maybe).
    I wrote asking their method of shipment. To these Inquiries - No Reply. Nothing. So I happened to look at the web Site -Here's what It now says:
    ALL PEDALS EXCEPT DIRT AND ERNIE’S ARE DISCONTINUED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!
    Needless to say ,I did not order a Dirt "N" Ernies Pedal. Kinda figure they could have told me this BEFORE they took my Money ?
    So wrote again ,asking if I would be getting my Order. No Reply. I don't feel there is anything wrong with asking these things. This is what Professionals are supposed to do when Conducting Business.
    SO - wondering if anyone here might know what is going on ???

2. ?&!

?&! Member

Holy crap, I was JUST about to post a thread about the very same thing. I ordered a Hot Buttered Scotch from their website on Oct. 21st. The PayPal transaction went through, no prob. After hearing nothing for over a week, I emailed to see what was up. I received a form email a few days later saying that Shad had experienced "serious, non-life threatening health problems". It said that Shad would be back up to 100% soon, and to be patient for a few weeks.

I sent a follow up on Nov. 19th, asking for an ETA. No reply. I sent another request for an update on Dec. 13th and again on the 18th. Still, no reply. It's now been over 8 weeks since I ordered my pedal.

I've ordered plenty of stuff from small builders, and I don't mind waiting as long as the communication is good. I ordered the HBS because I liked the demos, and Shad has a great reputation here for customer service. It's now past the time limit for a PayPal dispute, and I'm not sure what's going on.

I just checked the Quinn FB page, and it was updated 4 times on Dec. 17th, so someone is around. I posted a request for info there, and I'm anxious to get a response. I've passed up a couple of HBS pedals on Ebay, hoping mine would show up. I hope we don't have another Hermida on our hands.

3. ?&!

?&! Member

UPDATE: My question regarding an ETA for my pedal has been removed from the Quinn FB page. I immediately received an email from Shad's wife apologizing for the non-communication, and she assured me that I will receive my pedal. Still no ETA, though. ;-)

4. Dumdeediddle

Dumdeediddle Member

So , an Interesting in Development in "The Hot Buttered Scotch Files":
    After sending off another email this afternoon to QuinnAmp (I've only sent 3, so didn't feel I was out of line) - I got an email from Paypal stating I've had a full refund.
    And then , I get an email from the guys wife ,telling me Sorry ,and here's your refund.
    The Strange part: "All those who ordered Pedals will get them....Delayed".
    So ,I got a refund and I am going to get the Pedal I wanted ???? Strange. (of course - I wont be getting the Pedal -kidding).
    Just all very strange. No Explanation for the Wait. No Nothing. Not the way to Create happy Customers.

5. marsos52

marsos52 Member

about 4 or 5 months back I ordered a pedal from Quinn too. waited way past the delivery time. emails never answered.

put in a claim with paypal and finally got a response that made no sense.
    End result was a refund and the refund funds where bogus.

back to paypal, two weeks later the funds became good.

I'd never buy a amp from them after that.

6. ?&!

?&! Member

Verrrrrry interesting. I guess I'm gonna have to scratch that TKT183 off of my wish list. ;-) Well, I'm going to remain optimistic for a while and hope my pedal actually arrives. I will keep updating as things develop.

7. AustinR9Powers

AustinR9Powers Member

In September I ordered a Hot Buttered Scotch and got it quick! I hope he is ok!
    One of the best pedals ever...

8. firebird1295

firebird1295 Member

Don't waste your time with a Buttered Scotch pedal unless you can try one IN PERSON WITH YOUR RIG; they don't sound as good as many less expensive pedals (at least with Fender amps...), and if it doesn't work with your rig, the return/restocking fee is excessive so at the very minimum ask/inquire about restocking fees BEFORE you order from the website.

9. bilbal

bilbal Member

I'm not defending Shad at all. I believe communication is HUGE regardless of the situation and there's zero excuse for being blown off especially if one's cash has been taken.

But...
    I have had tons of conversations with Shad and he always came off as a very honest and genuine dude. I hope he's alright. Hopefully you all will get your due communication and an explanation.

10. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

I too, have had many, many communications with Shad in the past... always a very a straightforward, no-nonsense guy.

If his wife is doing all the communications... well, I hope and pray all is well with Shad.

This is definitely NOT one of those times whe the TGP--stereotypical feeding frenzy I appropriate.

11. Dumdeediddle

Dumdeediddle Member

I do hope the man is okay. It was all very strange. But, Got a Actual refund so....That's the good part. Sad I won't get to try the Item But......that's the way it can go.
    Have not had too many problems online over the years. Craigslist used to be okay for Local Sales. Now nothing but time wasted on Lookie Loos and those Turkeys from that Continent far across the water who -
    "Cannot pick up in Person ,so will pay with Money Order way Over your asking Price. Consider it sold ,& will arrange a Pickup".

12. fossilfuel

fossilfuel dismember

I've ordered a few pedals off of them.

The first was a D&E, it was during their "shop move".
    I wasn't informed that the move was across country,
    so, I kind of fell through the cracks on that one, I did receive it though.

I'd ordered a few others after, without incident.

Yes, Karin is in charge of the orders and communication, not sure if there's any problems though, I hope not.
    They both seem like pretty stand up people, maybe things are pretty hectic there, who knows.
    I'd assume that Shad is concentrating on the amp side, if they're dropping most of the pedals.

13. lefort_1

I dropped them a line via the QuinnAmps website and noted the unhappy noise that this thread is making. Within a few hours, I got this response:

14. ?&!

?&! Member

Thanks for the update. Again, my complaint isn't about the wait. If you buy stuff from small builders, especially a one-man-show like Shad, waiting is just par for the course. My issue is with the almost complete lack of communication for weeks and weeks while I was waiting. No small business is too busy to return emails. If they are, they need to find someone to reply to those emails in a timely fashion, or they will lose customers left and right. That's just the truth.

15. lefort_1

I guess my point was :
    I tried to contact via their website and got an answer within 6 hours.
    It sounds like they were trying to expand their production, but the hired-help didn't work out.

As a small business owner, I know that you try to solve the internal problem FIRST, before sending out red-flag messages to your customers. There's absolutely no necessity to share the details of the internal workings of your business (at that level of detail) when you're in the process of troubleshooting your production process. In fact, too many false-red-flags-sent will result in an orders-reduction, too. The hard parts are:
    - recognizing WHEN the problem IS big enough to share with the customers, and
    - how to send the message (not "email vs phone", but "what is the message you're going to send").
    - What to put in your website that sets potential customer's expectations without scaring them off.

These are not easy to do...especially if you are caught up in the midst of internal process changes, tactical assessments and changes in your output/schedule.

Not all the best builders are great businessmen. I know Shad is a great builder.
    But I tend to always cut slack rather than burn a bridge.

16. Dumdeediddle

Dumdeediddle Member

Thanks lefort 1 for the further info. Interesting how you were able to get a response so quickly. That's surely not the case with myself & (at least one other I know of).
    I contacted another member here privately to let them know my thoughts as to why I got a refund.
    I will close my contribution over this here with a couple things:
    1. As member ?&! says - "Again, my complaint isn't about the wait. Its about communication". I second that. The only reason I contacted them again recently was -I am going to be out of Town. I didn't want a box to be left at my Doorstep while I was gone (as you all know Toss & Run is a regular thing with deliveries). But there again - NO communication.
    2. I was actually disappointed to get the refund. Was willing to wait. As I told them. I DID NOT get a communication from them that I would be getting the Pedal later as they told Lefort1 . The only reason I knew something strange was going on was when I looked at their site and saw the announcement about discontinuing all Pedals but 1.
    I did NOT get the option to wait. I got the refund without asking. I won't write here what we said in our emails ( Which I consider were written in a Polite manner),but after my last one yesterday I got a refund in less than an hour. Funny that. In my case I guess they decided to "Burn a Bridge" as was said earlier.
    After all this had gone on ,yesterday I happened to see another "Legendary Pedal" out there. So Snapped that one up to try. The Pedals hardly ever live up to the Drama that can sometimes surround the acquiring of them. Funny thing is - If we had been communicated to in a Timely and Forthright manner ,at least 2 of us writing here could have gotten one of these "Awesome HBS" pedals online in a matter of Days. There were a number of them for sale. Very reasonable too.
    Nuff Said
    PS - I can totally understand the owner's frustration with finding qualified (Or interested / Motivated Help)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  17. ?&!

?&! Member

As soon as I posted something on the Quinn Facebook page, I got a response in 5 minutes. This was after 7 weeks of ZERO communication. I'm not asking for the Quinn team to share the inner workings of their business with me, but a "Hey, our enclosure provider is behind on production. We'll get your order out ASAP" would've been great, and not too much to ask. You got an answer regarding a negative thread on TGP. There are people waiting for Quinn pedals that STILL haven't been contacted. Doesn't that seem like a strange way to do business?

18. ?&!

?&! Member

UPDATE: After reading a thread in the amps forum about a member here who has been waiting for 10 months for one of Shad's amps with ZERO communication after he recently made his final payment (as requested by Shad), I have finally given up on receiving my HBS. If he has $5K of someone's money and can't return emails or phone calls, there's no way I'm getting my pedal. I just formally requested a refund. We'll see how this pans out.

19. ?&!

?&! Member

UPDATE #2: After posting about a refund on the Quinn FB page (the posting was deleted shortly thereafter), I got an email from Quinn. Once again, apologies and excuses, and an offer to send me a Dirt'n'Ernie until my HBS could be completed. Unfortunately, that was too little, too late. My patience (after 14 weeks) had run out, and I still requested a refund. The money was back in PayPal account shortly after. I'm happy to have my money back, but bummed that I'm not going to have an HBS.

20. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

How strange - I was just about to post on here about this when I came across this page.

My Story: I had ordered one of the first Hot Buttered Scotch pedal that were released. Love the pedal. It sounds great and is one of my favourites and I had it on my board to take to gigs etc. Then, one day after a re-wire, I found that the HBS pedal was cutting in and out. Traced it to the power lead inlet.

I spoke to Karin (Shad's wife) about it, and Shad himself actually got in touch with me to say that the earlier HBS pedals were not CNC machined and had the issue whereby the inlet hole was slightly out of line which could cause the power lead to short out against the chassis.

He offered to send me out a brand new edition replacement HBS if I paid for shipping and handling. This I did straight away - over 6 months ago now.

Since then I have repeatedly sent emails and Facebook messages to Shad and Karin asking for a consignment note number or some details on the shipping, but have had no answer.

My early interactions with Quinn were beyond fantastic (they even asked permission for one of my clips to be used as a demo for the HBS on their page), so I am a bit perplexed at the sudden radio silence in my current situation. I am a small family business owner myself, and I am thinking that they probably don't have any new HBS pedals in stock to replace mine with, and that Shad is probably really busy catching up with amp builds so they have decided that no email is better than an email offering an excuse?

Been there, done that myself on a few occasions, but I have learned lately that an honest email to the customer is massive in terms of relieving the guilt (on me) and keeping customer happiness up.

If in fact Shad is too busy for the next 6 months catching up on amp builds to be able to build any new pedals, then I would actually be totally happy with an email stating that.