Anyone know what make and vintage this fender board is?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by john l, Jan 21, 2012.

1. john l

john l Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a parts store by me that has a box of these stuffed boards for cheap and other than a little dust they apear to be in decnet shap. I thought it might be fun to make something happen with them if its a good circuit. Im guessing its a later silver face with vibrato but Im a little out of my element. Any help narrowing down to a year and model would be great. Thanks guys

2. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

A guy was selling Fender "mystery circuits" a while back on ebay. You may have found the source. The components and layout style is very late 70's or early 80's.

3. davemccarthy707

davemccarthy707 Member

It's from a Riviera era amp. Give me a few and I will look it up.

4. doctorx

doctorx Member

I would say early to mid seventies. Don't think those orange drops are original.

5. dazco

dazco Member

I see what looks to be an optocoupler, so probably a channel switcher and therefore definitely a later amp. The first switcher i think was that one called the 75 or something like that. Wasn't that mid 70's? So that would be the earliest it could be, but it's more likely like someone said a rivera era.

EDIT: oops.....seems the 75 was first produced in 1980 ! Wow, coulda sworn it was well before that. So i guess it's likely '80 or beyond. Unless they used those optocouplers for trem on some amps.

6. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

May have been for reverb and Boost switching. If these are the "mystery" boards that I remember, they were something that was never put into production.

7. davemccarthy707

davemccarthy707 Member

Either way they would make a great build template. How cheap, is cheap? ;)

8. BCJek

BCJek Member

Looks like the 75, allright...

[​IMG]

9. john l

john l Member

Thanks guys I was told today theyre believed to be "The Twin" Boards, but who knows right. The

Funny story actually, it turns out these have been recently unearthed, the shed they were were being stored in fell down in an earthquake way back when so the these have literally been burried under tons of **** for years! Makes me want to build one even more knowing this.

10. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

From the looks of the four cap/resistor pairs on the right (preamp) side, the amp might have had a four band EQ on it. That could be from the super twin era... Definitely not silverface though.

11. custom_amp_30

custom_amp_30 Member

I was the guy who bought those mystery Boards on Ebay and you are correct, that appear to be for the Fender 75. The wires have to be re-soldered because they just fall off because of how old they seem to be. I'm gonna finally wire one of these up to test it out.. This should be fun.

I'll post photos when its mounted into something worth while to display.

12. custom_amp_30

custom_amp_30 Member

13. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Building a Fender 75 is far from 'fun'. They have the most convoluted,assinine,rediculous power supply known to mankind.
    They don't sound very good either,so maybe rethink things a bit before you jump into that build!