Anyone know what tuning machines I need…

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by sstweed, Nov 29, 2017.

1. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

…for a Paul Beard BGT3S square back resonator? I pulled it out of the case and started to tune her up and the plastic tuning knob just shattered in my fingers, leaving a naked tuner shaft. They have no name on them. I’ll try to measure them later but I was hoping someone knew off the top of their heads. Thanks!

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

we'll need pics to give you a useful answer.

Outlaw likes this.
  3. sstweed

They look like no name Schaller knock-offs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Outlaw likes this.
  4. Outlaw

Outlaw Member

They likely are.

If you’re looking for a great set of 3x3 tuners that should be a direct drop in replacement, without reaming or drilling new holes, look at the Gotoh 510’s.

[​IMG]

There are several finish/button choices available. These are 18:1 ratio tuners which are super smooth. A cursory glance at eBay shows a chrome set for $71.00.

They are great tuners.

Brett Valentine likes this.
  5. sstweed

A good drop in replacement is what I need. I was hoping to find someone familiar enough with the guitar that could save me the hassle of measuring the diameter and post height and just tell me what to order. I was going to use this guitar on a project and now I’m waiting to fix it. It’s the little nuisances that drive me nuts.

Outlaw likes this.
  6. Outlaw

Outlaw Member

I’m not familiar (at all) with your instrument, however the tuners appear to be Schaller knock offs to me as well. With that said, there are lots of options, Grover, Gotoh, Hipshot, etc.

You’re ideally looking for something with the same footprint, where the screw on the back of the headstock is is at an angle, and not straight.

Good luck bro.

7. sstweed

That Gotoh you posted is an attractive tuning machine. I’ll look into those. I’m pretty much against anything with plastic knobs at this point.

Outlaw likes this.
  8. Outlaw

Outlaw Member

They are one of the smoothest machines out there. Very good performance.

You may want to look at (measure) the size of the holes in the headstock, just to make sure it’s not something wonky.

Another “tip” is, if you can, reuse the screws that hold each tuner on (back of headstock) so as to not recut threads in the wood. If you have to use the new screws that come with whichever set you buy, a little soap on the threads can sometimes be beneficial.

9. sstweed

Good tips. Thanks! I need all the tips I can get. Its the little tricks that seem to make the difference between someone who knows how things work and someone who knows how to actually fix them. I’m the former.

Outlaw likes this.
  10. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  11. sstweed

They are screwed on and keyed so I think I’d have to find a set that fits just right even if I just bought keys. The inside of the keys are a round hole with two flat sides. I’ll check that sight though. I already checked stew-Mac and a few others. Thanks!

12. sstweed

Well those do fit the description pretty well. For $4 it might be worth a shot!! Thanks a bunch for that!

13. Outlaw

Outlaw Member

With tuner buttons, no name knock off tuner buttons especially, the screws and the shape of the button opening are the tricky part. I refer to them as clutch screws, because they allow you to tighten or loosen their grip.

You may luck out on the first button/screw you try, but this has never been my experience with unknown tuner buttons. If you could narrow down to the manufacturer of the tuner, I have no doubt that would work.

It’s worth a try, especially if you’re happy with the tuners themselves.

walterw likes this.
  14. sstweed

This is what I hate about things like this. If you can piss a hole in the snow you can change a tuner. It should be a five minute job. But I have to spend days figuring out what particular one I need because there are 38,000 proprietary components that aren’t interchangeable. Very frustrating.

Adagietto, Scary Uncle G. and Outlaw like this.
  15. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

Welcome.

16. sstweed

Update. Got the tuning keys from wdmusic. Almost. :(

The notched openings are just a little bigger than the stems on my tuning machines. They work, barely. But there’s maybe 10 degrees of movement. At least my dobro is tuned, but this isn’t a permanent solution. Dang.

Outlaw likes this.
  17. walterw

ha!

welcome to my world

(anyway, it's worth a try to contact gold tone themselves; was this bought new? it might be a warranty fix, maybe contact the dealer.)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Outlaw likes this.
  18. sstweed

Nope bought it from a friend who bought it new. And probably eight or nine years ago. No warranty. The gold tone website doesn’t even mention replacement tubers that I can see.

Outlaw likes this.
  19. walterw

hmm.

since they don't say "gotoh" they're probably pings. a set of actual gotohs with the same mounting screw orientation should fit right on and would be a nice upgrade (not a fan of plastic buttons on keys with the tensioning screw for just this reason).

these wouldn't be as pricey as the 510 "lexus" tuners, but still top quality.
    [​IMG]

Outlaw likes this.
  20. sstweed

Thank you for the tip. I’ll yank one of the old ones out of the guitar this weekend and measure the height, diameter, etc and start shipping for these replacements.

Outlaw likes this.