1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone know what tuning machines I need…

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by sstweed, Nov 29, 2017.

1. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

oh, don't worry so much about the holes through the peghead or the height of the posts; if the keys have the screw-on collar then they're pretty much the same size, your only concern is the alignment of the little mounting screw on the back.

Outlaw and Adagietto like this.
  2. Outlaw

Outlaw Member

Measure your peghead thickness.

3. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I bought Gotoh Schaller style 1951’s from stew-Mac and they’re an exact fit. $50 and ten minutes and done. Of course it took me a couple months to get around to it! Stew-mac having exact dimensions on their website really helped!

4. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

Stewmac lists the exact dimensions of all their tuners, so if you measure yours, you can check it against theirs.

5. sstweed

That’s exactly what I did. That’s what gave me the confidence to buy and ship tuners sight unseen. I even took on of the tuners off and drove to a couple local shops. No on had the right thing. So I really had no choice. I got out the vernier and measured it all up. Found the one it matched on stewmac. Didn’t take ten minutes to swap out. Perfect fit.

6. jwguitar

jwguitar Member

I have to agree Gotoh tuners are probably the smoothest tuning machines out there. Grover is also a great tuner but Gotoh is going to fit right in that footprint for the previous tuners.

7. sstweed

I can attest to the gotohs being very smooth. I have an epiphone 339 I like real well but it has cheapo tuners. I may look for gotoh copies of those now as well.