Anyone know which delays/echos have sound after turn-off?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by StompBoxBlues, Feb 27, 2006.

1. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Just wondering if I could get a list, or build one here, of delay and/or echo pedals that have the delay keep going even when the pedal is turned off?

Would also be good to know which of those than can do it, have it as a swithcable parameter or which it's just the way it works.

Pedals that allow delay to continue even after switch off (switchable?):

Pedals I know that don't do that:

Visual Sound H2O
    Ibanez DE-7

2. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

DD-20 keeps the delay going after you turn it off.

Replica does not.

3. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Member

I remember my old Line 6 delay would "tail" off but you would have to choose to not have true bypass in order for it to function that way....

4. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

5. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

Yeah, you could do that with the old Korg SDD 2000. Fun stuff

6. jeak

jeak Member

The Boss DD-6 trails. I don't think you can turn the feature off. That's just how it is. I like it that way.

7. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Both of the Echoplex's that I had did this to a limited extent. Plus they always added a really cool tone to the whole signal chain.

8. exodus

exodus Member

the simple answer is just about any pedal that isn't true bypass will trail, true bypass pedals cut out.

9. brad235

brad235 Member

boss rv-3 trails off. its a good feature to have...

10. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

You guys are great. Where else could you ask this and within a day have a auto-compiled list :)

SO, so far:

Pedals that have delay tails after turning off:
    DD-20
    DD-6 (not optional)
    RV-3
    Line 6 ?? (optional)
    Echo Park
    Korg SDD 2000
    echoplexes
    Digidelay

Pedals that cut-off delay tails when turned off:
    Replica
    H2O
    DE-7

Exodus, just with the ones I have, that isn't true (the first part of your statement).... What I mean is, if it isn't TB doesn't indicate it will trail. What you wrote at the end is though...all TB pedals do NOT "trail", but just because a pedal is not TB, doesn't mean it will.

12. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Indeed - I see that comment a lot ("if you mod a delay for TB, you'll lose the delay trails"). While it is technically true - a true bypass will not let any delay signal past it in bypass mode - it implies that all non-TB delay pedals will let the delay trail off. That is very far from the truth, as the fact is that 90% of the delay pedals out there (including those no longer in production) will kill the delay signal as soon as you turn them off.

It'd be far easier to compile a list of which delay pedals that have this feature, than those that don't. For the short list, I'd add the Marshall Echohead (optional). I also started on a list (see below) of those that don't trail off, but came to my senses after a while, when I realized that there were an almost infinite number of pedals to list. So I basically gave up.

I'm fairly sure on most of these, although if you have one of them and it does trail off, feel free to correct me. :D

Guyatone MD-3, AD-X/TD-X
    Maxon AD-80, AD-900/999, AD-9
    Ibanez AD-80, AD-9, AD-99, ADL, DDL, DDL-10, DDL-20, DML, DML-10, DML-20, DPL-10, DL-10, CD-10, EM5, DL5, DE-7
    Boss DM-2, DM-3, DD-2/3/5, DSD-2/3
    DOD 585, 680, DFX9, FX90, FX96
    Electro-Harmonix Memory Man, Deluxe Memory Man (?)

13. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Good point Stinkfoot (that is the FIRST time I ever wrote THAT sentence)!

I'll take your good advice and forget about pedals that cut off the tails when turned off. My experience is the same as yours, most don't (or didn't).

Personally, if it can, I'd like to see it be selectable.

14. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I have my DD-20 in a TB loooper. Thereby, in a sense, for me it is selectable :D

15. drolling

drolling Member

Yeah, this is one of those threads that makes me feel like an old geezer, cause all the delays I used to own cut the trails when bypassed. A cheap old geezer, too, as I've never had a real tape driven echo or any fancy rack stuff.

It's like those "I have to have tap-tempo" threads..

Like, how long has tap tempo been around? Again, maybe it's because I could never afford things like TC Electronic 2290s, but the very first tap-tempo pedal I've owned is 6 months old.

16. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

I'm a delay junkie....and it's getting worse (looking now at a maxon analog delay and Replica for digital).

I have a Line6 DL-4...it can do echo/delay after the bypass is toggled. But, you have to configure it to do that with some obscure combination of button presses (and it does prevent the unit from being 'true bypass').

I'd be surprised if the Korg SDD-2000 trails echoes after being bypassed. My Korg SDD-3000 doesn't do this.

Trailing echoes are selectable in the TC2290 (via the 'special key'). Tap tempo was also on this unit...though it was called 'learn'. I've got one of these too....don't use it that much, maybe I'll get back into it some day.

My PCM-41 doesn't trail after bypass either....I don't see many guitarists using this delay, but it sounds awesome; better than the Kord SDD IMO, and much warmer than the TC2290.

Cheers,

Kris

17. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

Yeah, I sold that delay 10 yrs ago but I remember it had a different jack then the bypass & you could use the foot switch on that & the delay would trail off. It was awesome when you would run it + 1 secs...

18. analogcabin

analogcabin Member

Does an MXR Carbon Copy do this?
    (Continue to delay for a few repeats after turned off)

Thanks!

19. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Member

tech 21 DLA has a "trails" feature that is switchable.

20. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

TC Nova Repeater trails off too.