Anyone like a V30 style speaker in a Hot Rod Deluxe ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JohnK24, Sep 12, 2008.

1. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

I have the tweed edition of the HR Dlx with the Jensen P12N speaker. The alnico speaker seems "stuffy" to me, I play cleanish, mildly driven blues and jazz (tele and P90 LP). I've toyed with different V1 tubes, but keep coming back to the speaker. I liked the overall vibe of the Veteran 30 I had in my last Blues Jr., just wondering if any of you like the V30 styled speakers in the Hot Rod Dlx ? Do they kill the "fender" 6L6 vibe ? I know they help the Blues Jr. on overdrive tones.

I got a spare RI C12N Jensen laying around that I'm going to try this weekend, but I bet it's gonna be brittle and very taunt.

J

2. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Fender made one with a V30 in it, I forgot what they called it but it's out there.

3. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

That's the Texas Red or Emerald Green limited edition...I saw Sweetwater has a forthcoming Python (cowboy tolex) version up next. I also saw a purple tolex version in a GC flyer this summer with the Emi Texas Heat speaker. I guess I just outta open the wallet and try a few speakers out..

4. scroff

scroff Member

I had one in my hot rod dlx and didn't care for it. It sound fine at home but in the mix playing out it sounded "woofy". I replaced it with a eminence wizard that sounds better. I also have a crex in another hot rod dlx that I love.

5. JamminJeff

JamminJeff Member

The Fender HR series won't change much when swapping tubes. Changing the speaker is your best bet without major modification to the electronics.

V30's are efficient speakers and are loud and clear, meaning, they will reproduce what you put into them and do it really well. The HR amps all sound the same to me no matter what. I had the HR Deluxe and after several mods, including several speaker changes plus a rebuild of the stock speaker, I sold it.

The HR's have a very useable clean tone and a nice reverb but they have a tendency to "yell" not sing.

Blues does NOT mean Fender. Most of today's blues music is not thru a Fender amp anyway. If you want Silver Face Reverb sound like from the 60's, get that amp. The HR drive channel/s are unusable from my experience. They HR's look nice and are solid but kind of plain jane tonally. For some, that's a good thing. I also don't think they take pedals very well.

The bottom line is that the electronic design of any amp has a signature tone and there is no escaping it. Tube, speakers, etc. only alter it somewhat. Matching up signal chain components to create a final tonal product is why TGP exists and why manufactures keep pumping out new stuff, that and profit. TGP probably excluded.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  6. Shinequwa

Shinequwa Member

I had the Emerald Green version with the v30. I didn't care for it as much as the version I had with the Jensen C12N. Although, the Jensen is not the best speaker for this amp either. I thought the speaker was a little shrill for this amp. I heard one with the Eminence Red,White and Blues, and that sounded nice.

7. sfdoyle

sfdoyle Member

I heard the new red ones they're putting out now with a vintage 30 speaker and it sounded killer! however that was in the store, and trust me I play loud! never tried it w/a band and its true sometimes things will sound great right there in your bedroom etc..then once in a band application..ah boom flat on its face or not cutting through enough, but I highly suggest a vintage 30 in a blues deluxe, and I'm 99% super light tele's, jason lollar pickups, G L's cables, tons of killer boutique, vintage pedals...etc. good luck!

8. Rick330man

Rick330man Member

Years later...

The Vintage 30 does a nice job of handling the amp's boomy bass but it will kill the beautiful Fender chime folks typically buy a Fender amp for.