Anyone like G12T-75's??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by riffpowers, Jan 19, 2007.

1. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I'm looking for higher wattage G12H/G12M style speakers to go in a 2x12.

Anyone like these speakers??

2. jlummaa

jlummaa Member

I don't think G12H and G12M are very similar to G12T-75. Nor are G12H and G12M very similar to each other IMHO ;)

Higher wattage "G12H/G12M style speakers"? Eminence Wizard and Private Jack comes to mind.

3. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Higher wattage G12H-30 - Classic Lead 80
    Higher wattage G12M-25 - G12-65

At least, in the right ballpark IMO.

4. StratTone

StratTone Member

I don't have a problem with them. I do like others better but there not bad speakers.

5. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

I think they have their place, like in my Marshall 4x12! :)

I haven't had enough experience with these speakers and multiple amps to tell you much, but I like them with high gain Marshalls so far.

6. vibroverbus

vibroverbus Member

just in my opinion, it's a bit round-the-back-door to say 'high wattage version of etc.' without what tone/sound/style are you after?

FWIW, I have a 4x12 of G12T-85's, similar to both the G12T-75 and C.L. 80 I believe. it is... well sorta creamy and still somewhat articulate and penetrating at the same time (describing speakers always ends up 'like dancing about architecture' to paraquote). I actually really like it with lower wattage amps. great for a wide range of crunch & grind hard rock, not so brilliant for subtle blues tones but passable all around. I find all the 'rock oriented' Celestions to be similar, anybody who gets real fussy about the differences has more imagination, I mean money, I mean, 'discerning hearing' than me...

7. chaz

chaz Member

Had one G12T75 in a ported Rivera extension cab and it killed. Put the same speaker in a combo and it sucked. Makes me think they like a closed back or ported cab the best.

8. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Lots of people like G12T-75s, myself included. They are not really that close to the G12H/G12M speakers to my ear though.

The G12-85s that were mentioned in this thread are the ones that I like the best of the ones I've tried.

9. el34power

el34power Member

Well can you try and explain how the G12T's sound compared to the others mentionned? Clestion says they are Greenbacks on steroids?!
    i have two comming soon. I was hoping for an M/H mix, high power type tone

10. el34power

el34power Member

so more of a High powered H30 then ?

11. sethmeister

sethmeister Member

I love G12T75's in a closed back 4x12. Has that 80's hard rock / heavy metal sound.

Not sure this what you're looking for though...

12. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

The Greenbacks tend to have more mids, but also will, in similar amplification circumstances, be pushed harder and have more distortion.

13. anti-flag193

anti-flag193 Member

g12t75 and greenbacks aren't similar at all. I like both though.,

14. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

g12t75's are a mainstay in the rock/metal industry..#1 selling guitar speaker of all time..i love mine in 4x12,s..

15. Myxolidian

Myxolidian Member

G12T-75 rocks. Great lows, slightly scooped mids, and smooth highs. THE rock speaker, IMO.

-

16. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

... mostly because Marshall have fitted them in almost every 4x12" they've sold in the last 20 years, and most people don't know how much difference speakers make - they'll buy any box with Marshall on the front no matter what speakers are in it.

I'm not saying they're terrible - even though I don't like them as much as almost any other Celestion model, I still prefer them to many other makers' speakers - but I don't think they're the 'biggest selling speaker in the world' because people actually choose them.

I do agree they're quite good for metal, but IMO not really for most other music styles - or at least, not as good as many of the alternatives. I think they're the least characterful and toneful of any of Celestion's 'Classic' series, by a fair margin.

They don't really sound like a high-powered version of any of the older or lower-powered models either - they're just their own thing. Someone described them on another thread as sounding 'like they're behind a wall', which IMO really nails it - to me, they sound 'big', but distant. Sort-of powerful-sounding, because of the scooped mids and boomy bottom end, but in a fairly useless way that doesn't cut in a mix or fill a space well when there are other competing sounds.

Not at all like a G12H-30, or a G12M-25.

Just my opinion...

17. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I would LOVE to have a new quad of G12H30's.....

But I have a quad of G12T75's in my Marshall 4X12 closed back cab, and I will say something about them:

They sound a WHOLE lot better if they are broken in WELL.
    Take care,
    Mass

18. Miles

Miles Member

I used them for 4 years with various heads and I was always happy with them. You get a creamier and brighter sound with them. Don't expect to find much low end. I used a Boogie through a cab loaded with them, and another cab loaded with V30's and I preferred the G12T-75's.

They are not my favorite speaker, and neither are celestions in general, but they have some decent uses.

19. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

i guess i give musicians more credit than that..i usually buy with my ears..by your line of reasoning, i guess gibsons sell a lot of guitar cases because they come with gibson guitars in them...:confused:

20. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Are you comparing the G12T75's to the G12H30's when you say ;

"You get a creamier and brighter sound with them. Don't expect to find much low end."
    Thanks,
    Mass