Anyone like Parker guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by yakyak, May 18, 2008.

1. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

About five years ago I had a Nitefly that was an exceptional guitar. I thought that if it was that good, I would sell it and get a high dollar Fly Deluxe. That was a stupid mistake. I hated the Deluxe from the moment I laid my hands on it (it was mail ordered). I flipped it fast. Now I am gassing for another Nitefly. Anybody have one? Do you like it?

2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Got two and love them.

3. PFCG

PFCG Member

UM YEAH!

Here are mine!
    [​IMG]
    From the Custom Shop. 1pc Solid Koa Body, Mahogany Neck, Custom Shop Seymours Wound to my specs. RS PRS Modern Electronics Kit. Soon to have an RMC Saddle Set. Jerome Little Brazilian Rosewood Knobs and Switch Tip.

[​IMG]

Terrible Pic but its a Fly Mojo Flame, RMC Midi Piezo, with an RS PRS Modern Kit, a 3 way coil tap on the mini toggle and a momentary kill switch. Duncan Jazz and JB set. Probably will Switch to Lundgrens sometime soon.

4. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Doesn't Parker make one of these with a thicker neck??

I just played the new acoustic/electric yesterday. I was quite impressed!

5. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

I've never been a fan. But i will say that the guy has certainly tried to redefine the instrument, so i applaud him for that.

6. omni

omni Member

I was gonna pick one up,nitefly..but I changed my mind.

7. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Like any guitar some like them some don't. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with them. One thing is that if you do decide to like them they generally spoil you for anything else. So if you still love your LP or Strat don't bother trying them. But if you really want something easier to play, lighter, better clarity, stays in tune, has built in piezo bridge, great whammy bar that stays in tune, strings bend like the frets are greased.....

8. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

They didn't work for me ergonomically or tonally, but their necks are a benchmark for me. Absolutely incredible!

-Austin

9. dayn

dayn Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't like them...

I LOVE them, can't live without them, don't really want to play anything besides a Fly!

10. PFCG

PFCG Member

they will make one with a thicker neck profile if you custom order.

11. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I played a TGP member's Fly Mojo and was instantly (and surprisingly) smitten. Expected to hate it, now I want one. A blast to play with nearly every tone in the book at your fingertips, and you've gotta see one up close to appreciate just how well they're built. Tres' cool!

12. stoob0t

stoob0t Member

Ive owned two Fly Deluxes, but both were lacking something for me. The piezo pickup sounded absolutely amazing - but i couldn't quite get the tones that i wanted from the buckers - might just be a personal issue that i have with the overall sound of DiMarzio's. This was before they were building the Fly Mojo models though, i'm quite confident that i'd really like the Mojo.

13. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

There was a Nitefly thread recently- lots more there. Summary for me, I have 40 nice guitars. My 2 Niteflys (with 2 different sets of replacement pups) are all I play these days. They can ruin ya!

14. sfletch

sfletch Member

I just picked up a Nitefly recently and love it....I was thinking of a Korean-made one...but found a Nitefly on eBay cheaper than one of those would have been.

The piezo doesn't work, I have to get that fixed, but even so, it's become my go-to gigging guitar

....it's easy to play, sounds great (s-s-h...the bridge dimarzio is really chunky sounding), and it stays in tune like nobody's business (even with temperature/humidity changes)...it's also really comfortable to play and just hangs on your body perfectly.

Also, the neck is wrapped in that composite, so even though I've banged it into my mic stand and by bassist's bass and other stuff, it's completely unscathed...the neck is really durable and stable and straight.

the fingerboard doesn't get gummy if you sweat, just keeps feeling slinky....

so my overall take is: a Nitefly is a perfect gigging guitar, plays great, sounds great, is durable, stays in tune....

Conversely, I don't love the way it looks and I'm totally unattached to it emotionally...therefore it's perfect for gigs. I might sell it soon, or I might keep it forever, don't know. I haven't played another guitar for a gig since I got it, though.

I kind of want one of the nitefly tele's....I just wish they looked more traditional.....

15. crosse79

crosse79 Member

There has been problems with the frets coming out with one of my friend's friend. I hear this is quite a common problem especially in countries where humidity is higher like in Asia. The frets are glued on top of the fretboard if I am not mistaken.

16. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Yes but it is not common .and often due to the owner cleaning it with something he shouldn't have .The thing to clean a Parker neck with is a damp cloth nothing else.

17. stephax

stephax Member

Just saw this Deluxe for sale on another forum...
    My favourite model (and finish) ever
    [​IMG]

18. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

That's what I read elsewhere too. Then again, I found that cleaning products of any kind for guitar necks just don't work for me. The composite fretboard of the Nitefly and Fly probably don't need any special cleaning solution anyway.

I like the Parker neck enough to order a Nitefly Alder (closeout sale). My one small reservation is over the Dimarzio pickups, as none of my favorite players, tone-wise, use Dimarzios, as far as I know. We'll see how it goes.

19. PFCG

PFCG Member

i clean my necks with a microfiber cloth and thats it!

if you get a good scrub going, put some elbow grease in. you could make the instrument look brand new without any solutions or water at all.

if the guitar busts on you, you probably asked for it.

ive only seen Parkers messed up every once in a while and here were the reasons:

Big gouge in the body of mine because i dropped a 10 pound mic stand on the top of it by accident, but its only a cosmetic flaw.
    I saw a headstock broken off once, but it was because a kid dropped it out a window. It was later Epoxy glued back on and played perfectly yet again!
    Fret fell off because the dork cleaned the fretboard with windex.
    a couple other paint chips due to carelessness.

20. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

From my experience, they are great guitars. The Nitefly just suits me better. The looks of these guitars is just OK in my opinion but they are great playing! Here is my incoming. It is an '06 Nitefly SA. I like sunburst better but I found a deal on this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]