1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Like S. Duncan Quarter Pound Pups?!?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tommyg, Mar 11, 2006.

1. tommyg

tommyg Member

I'm looking into some new Strat pups for my blonde '57 reissue and always loved Ritchie Blackmore's tone on his Strat. He uses SD's Quarter Pound pups and was wondering if anyone besides Ritchie likes these in their Strat.

Thanks!

2. Reeek

Reeek Member

I have some in a cheap strat copy and they are really amazing but you lose a lot of the single coil flavor with them because of the output. I like them a lot though. They did exactly what I was looking for in that guitar. I wanted a sort of hybrid tone between HB's and single coils with more output. And that's what I got.

3. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I like them a lot exactly because they do sound like single coils, to me. Certainly very powerful and quite midrangy ones, but they still have the true single-coil definition and punch... because they are true single coils. Single-coil-sized humbuckers all seem to have a little bit (or a lot, with some of them) of muddiness and sound a bit compressed by comparison. The Tele QP bridge pickup in particular is an absolutely huge-sounding pickup, but I like the Strat ones as well. The only disadvantage is that because they are actual (and high-wound) single coils, they do tend to hum a bit.

4. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

I had a set in a strat about 20 years ago and recall that them sounding really good, though certainly not vintage sounding at all. If memory serves they were a bit compressed sounding. I'd like to hear what others have to say. Also, check out the Lollar Specials and Fralin SP43s as other fat sounding single coil pickups.

5. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

John Bertsche uses a quarter pounder bridge pickup in a Strat he built while he was working for a company that was mass producing cheap guitars many years ago. He's actually quite a musician, and does a bit of engineering and production. (http://www.maurafogarty.com/maura_band.html) but he has other-worldly guitar tech skills - he is in great demand for people with vintage guitars.

6. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

tommyg, I have the exact same guitar as you - AV57RI Strat in white blonde! Love mine, it's quite heavy, how's yours?

I have no experience with the QP pickups, had SD SSL-3 hot strat pickups in a strat once and really liked the sound, especially in the bridge. Anyway, with the '57 I swapped the bridge pickup but kept the others stock. I put a Fralin Steel Pole 43 in there, sounds absolutely great! The balance between the pickups is perfect and the bridge pickup has great power, it's got a P-90 output, but still sounds stratty and not "out of the context" at all. There's a little problem though, the pickup is quite big and doesnt fit to the route that well, so it's pretty near the strings cause I dont want to route the body.. I might change the pickup to a Fralin High Output with a baseplate, but I really would like to stick to the SP43. Check it out.

7. tommyg

tommyg Member

Hey Tone Ranger!

Like yours, it is heavy. I don't use it much since I play my Heritage's alot but I do love to use when I feel it'll fit the song. I used to be a heavy whammy-bar user (ala Blackmore, Hendrix, Beck) but the strat is just too "clean" for me and doesn't give me the output I need onstage.

I was looking into some replacement pups like OC Duff, Fralins, and Kinman's but I always LOVED Ritchie's Strat sound (particularly the tones on the live cuts from Finyl Vinyl). It's a full mid-rangey, yet powerful sound!

So you like the Fralin Steel Pole 43? Can you give me an idea on the sound of it?

Many thanks!

TommyG

8. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    Along these same lines respecting a strat bridge pup, I have a Rio Grande Stelly in my strat. Has that higher output mids type sound when overdriven. Played clean it sounds like a good tele bridge pup.

9. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

TommyG,

the SP 43 will make your guitar rock! I'm sure you'll find plenty of use for it onstage after the mod.

The problem for me with the AV pickups was that the bridge was always too damn bright when the other pickups sounded good. And if I set up the bridge to sound good the other were totally muffled.

If you like your strat powerful and mid-rangey, the SP43 will deliver. It has great mid range and lots of bottom and power. And I still feel I didnt lose any of the strat magic, which is nice! It's just great to go to the bridge pickup and you know you've got the required horse powers :) It is very hot, I think it's about 14 kOhms, and I've heard the sound compared to P-90's and Tele bridge pickups. Anyway, it's still a strat..

I really like the blonde AV57, it has some sort of special dignity about it :) I dont use it with the band that much live, 'cause Telecasters seem to fit the bill easier, but sometimes I just love to use it and while recording it's always great to have a good strat around.

10. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I had one on the bridge of my Strat until last year. Yes, it does get Blackmore's tone, but it doesn't get a lot of Strat chime at clean settings.

I went for a full set of WCR SR pickups on this guitar, so that's why I took the QP out. I wanted this particular guitar to start doing a different job, so the QP had to go.