ANYONE like talmans?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by OPENYOUREYES, Jan 20, 2020.

1. sahhas

sahhas Member

I think they are cool:
    [​IMG]

Yvette is a great player!!!

2. Viking999

Viking999 Member

I've got a Talman 825 with a Bigsby that's a great guitar. The neck is really thin which can be a nice change of pace

nasonm and sahhas like this.
  3. Corvid

Corvid Member

They're just a little too smooshed-looking for me. They've grown on me, but I wish they were just a bit longer. Which is essentially what my Roadcore is:

[​IMG]

But this signature model looks really cool. Never seen a factory tuning like that, either. It seems like Ibanez isn't even making a non-signature Talman right now, though, or a bevy of their other non-shredder and non-jazz guitars. It's a shame.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Scheckenbacker and enharmonic like this.
  4. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Member

I like the color. She's a unique guitarist for sure.

sahhas likes this.
  5. anuj

anuj Member

Love Talmans, have an eye out for a TC6xx or 8xx with lipsticks, but it’s not a priority.

sahhas likes this.
  6. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

always thought they were cool but the 1.61 nut width is a deal killer for me

Jabby92, Corvid and sahhas like this.
  7. sahhas

sahhas Member

I played one of the Tele styled talmons about a year ago, it was a great playing guitar with a great neck, funny I thought the neck felt pretty skinny!!!!

cutaway likes this.
  8. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

I'm sure that guitar sounds and plays great, but it violates my rule that controls have to be either on or off the pick guard--not a mixture of the two. See also several Godin designs.

sahhas likes this.
  9. Corvid

Corvid Member

Thanks for pointing that out! Conversely, that 41 mm nut makes me *more* interested. Like, a lot more. I only recently posted a thread asking about guitars with thin and narrow necks like the Yamaha Pacifica. It looks like, at least with this signature model, the neck is also just a little bit thinner than my Ibanez Roadcore I posted above, and since I find that Roadcore neck a bit of a handful, I'm now really interested in the YY10. It also looks like it might even have a thinner neck than a Pacifica, based on the specs, though according to specs my Roadcore should only be the tiniest bit more fat than the Pacifica but feels much bigger. Any idea if pretty much all Talman necks are like this?

cutaway likes this.
  10. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

I like them. I've been eying a Talman TMB30 short scale bass for a while, but I already have the P/J thing covered.

11. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

Eastwood makes some Talman clones in 6 and 12 string models. Probably a bit different than the original ones, though.
    Al

12. PartoftheDark

PartoftheDark Member

I think I’ve had 3 Talmen over the years. I prefer them to strats in pretty much every pickup configuration. Yvette rules in general and for keeping them in the limelight. I dig the color too.

13. Luecack

Luecack Member

I haven’t played the newer ones. I remember being let down by the old basswood bodied models from the 90’s. But I do like like the ones Jake Snider (Minus The Bear) plays, but I believe they are custom shop’s and not production models. The new ones lend themselves to tapping

14. specialidiot

specialidiot most likely to seceede Gold Supporting Member

I've never heard of them before but i think I like them.

15. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

I had an early MIJ Talman that I I really liked, except for the (Sky?) lipstick pickups, which didn't have good string-to-string balance. I would happily have another, with different pickups. 2*P90 would be nice. :)

16. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

It seems that they're all in this range of thinness.

Corvid likes this.
  17. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

Was my first ever electric guitar in 1997. Green with tortoise shell pick guard and P90 pickups. I loved the guitar’s sound but those mid 90’s ones had a bridge where the strings came in at a 90 degree angle. I broke a string every 2 weeks.

18. jvin248

jvin248 Member

I like them. Don't own one. Haven't seen one used cheap enough.
    (based on this thread I now worry the neck is too skinny).

Every time I see one, I think Fender should convert the Tele control plate to have an angled jack at the end and use it on the Strat too.

Luecack likes this.
  19. Corvid

Corvid Member

Awesome! Now if Ibanez would only bring the regular Talmans back into production, though this signature model is now very attractive to me. Wish I'd known about these specs (and that I apparently prefer narrow, thin, and flat necks) a few years ago when Talmans were in regular production and much more common. Hope this signature model is still around in a few years when I get around to adding to my guitar collection, LOL.

sahhas likes this.