• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Anyone like the new Mesa Mark V ?

telejammer

I tried a head out at GC on Sunday and I thought it sounded pretty good. Ran it thru a Mesa 4-12 Lonestar open back cab with Black Shadow C-90's in it. It sure has alot of options to explore. Anyway I'm sort of getting some GAS about this amp and thinking of buying one. Had a few Mesa's in the past before going all Fender so I'm comfortable with them. The cab was on a clearance for $699.00 reg. price is $979.00. Anyone else have or had any experience with the Mark V ?

sdhupelia

For whatever reason they seem to get their share of hate on the various forums. I've noticed here, especially, where people seem to be more in the boutique camp (Div by 13, Matchless, Bogner, etc.), there isn't much love.

That said, I LOVE mine. I have a Mark V and a Road King II, and of all of the amps I've owned/tried, I find them to be the most versatile and feature-filled amps. The Mark V Class A cleans and tweed tones I find just killer, and I love the crunch channel setting as well for a nice mid-crunch.

I also love the Mark IV setting on the high-gain channel, although of course I'd recommend a noise gate on that (I'm starting to think Mesa and Marshall and others should just start including a noisegate on their high-gain amps, like some Engls and others have).

I have a gig coming up next month, and I'm probably going to gig the Mark V for the first time. I have the combo, and of the several amps I have, it's the only one right now I can see keeping for a long long time.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
There's a few very long Mark V threads on here if you do a search.....Consensus is split...some love it, some don't...My experience with Mesa's is you really have to spend time with them..A tweaker's delight..

Austinrocks

Have a mark iv that I love after putting in 6v6s, the mark v is a nice improvement to the mark iv, it ability to have graph EQ setting for each channel, and the reverb for each channel is a nice addition, the ability to run four EL-34, the mark iv only runs two EL-34s the others are 6L6s. The control knobs are better laid out than the mark iv, hard to be worse IMO. The bass does go to 10 without flubbing out, the mark iv goes to 3 which drives folks nuts, its in the manual, but who reads the manual.

The knock on the mark v has been the solo channel. When I played it the mark iv solo was my mark iv solo so I am happy there. The Insane setting is a shorter sustain, it sounds like a rectifier to me and I think they should have labelled it rectifer and more folks would be happy with that setting.

Personally I have a mark iv that I am happy with, the mark v has features that I like but its not a big deal right now for me. I can understand the GAS though.

there are several threads on the mark v as several folks have said.

gdomeier

Silver Supporting Member
I have one. My first mesa amp. I didn't buy it because I wanted to exactly cop various older mesa Mark amps. I just wanted an amp with clean, crunch and gain channels. I wanted an amp with a more modern sounding gain.

The Mark V gave me that, plus a bunch more. There are multiple great tones to be had on each channel. Verb I could care less about, but it sounds great. I love that I can set the verb level on each channel independently. The effect loop plays nice with my m13. It sounds great at all volume levels.

Win win for me.

ELA

Have had mine long enough for the honeymoon to be over and I still love it. Even more so since I have had time to become more familiar with the controls. Can't say enough about the clean channel. One of the best I have heard and the modes make it that much more better. Really dig the Tweed mode in 10watt variac setting.

Love the other 2 channels and modes as well. Could go on and on and on.

Bottom line, this is the 3rd tube amp I have owned, Marshall, Apollo, F-50, and will be a keeper.

I will add this though. I think Mesa made a huge mistake naming some of the modes after their classic's and hyping them up. Pretty big shoes to fill IMHO and your just inviting people to bitch.

That being said though I could give a rat's ass if the Mark IIc+ mode sounds exactly like a IIc+ or the Mark I exactly like a Mark I. To me they're just another mode with a very usable sound that I can utilize if I wish to. Just adds to the versatility. :aok

telejammer

Hey, thanks to all that responded,I really appreciate the info on the Mark V. Like some of you have said, it doesn't matter to me either if the modes don't exactly clone the original amps. The tones I experienced were all very good and I did not even begin to explore the versatility of this amp. One other question, do you guys think the Black Shadow speakers would be the best fit for this amp? I wasn't actually looking for a 4-12 cab but since this one is reduced from $979.00 to $ 699.00 I am leaning that way, only bad thing is its about 87lbs, but comes with casters. Anyone try a 2-12 verticle cab?

Baloney

If you played it and liked it then get it. If you liked the cabinet you played it thru then go for it. You can always swap speakers later.

Waxhead

I tried a head out at GC on Sunday and I thought it sounded pretty good. Ran it thru a Mesa 4-12 Lonestar open back cab with Black Shadow C-90's in it. It sure has alot of options to explore. Anyway I'm sort of getting some GAS about this amp and thinking of buying one. Had a few Mesa's in the past before going all Fender so I'm comfortable with them. The cab was on a clearance for $699.00 reg. price is $979.00. Anyone else have or had any experience with the Mark V ?
Is it a good amp. It's like asking if a Ferrari is a fast car.
For many people the Mark V is their dream amp.
It is for me but I can't afford the $5000 price tag in Australia.
Disregarding all the absurd Mesa hate active on this forum you'll find that the Mark V is much loved by the great majority of owners.
The boogie board is where you'll get informed reviews and mp3 recordings of this amp at

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewforum.php?f=33

MGSchindel

MK V is nice amp, but I prefer the more organic, punchier nature of my MK IV a bit more, especially the high gain channel. MK V is more versatile. MK IV is much less user friendly but more rewarding tonally and feels more massive, quite insane when you crank it. Both amps like V30s, and both also work well with Classic 80s/Black Shadow 90s. MK IV is a cranky, disoriented, poorly-laid-out dinosaur, true, but nonetheless, in direct comparison, it is a bigger, meaner one, when you know how to wield it. MK IV is more the genuine bone crusher, its fatter lead tone and fatter cleans own...at least between the MK IV and MK V, IMHO.

gdomeier

Silver Supporting Member
I play mine through an avatar premier vintage 2x12 with greenbacks. I have the same cab with v30/g12h30's also. I prefer the gb's.

Knuckles

I like mine. I've had MK III's and IV's as well and while the solo channel on this one takes a bit more tweaking than those, the clean and crunch channels more than make up for it.
You can't expect instant Petrucci or Hetfield on that lead channel. Takes a lot of tweaking. Turning up the output section helps a lot. The amp really won't wake up at bedroom / basement levels.

MGSchindel

I like mine. I've had MK III's and IV's as well and while the solo channel on this one takes a bit more tweaking than those, the clean and crunch channels more than make up for it.
You can't expect instant Petrucci or Hetfield on that lead channel. Takes a lot of tweaking. Turning up the output section helps a lot. The amp really won't wake up at bedroom / basement levels.
Totally agree, NOT a bedroom amp and not for the faint. You gotta crank all these MK series amps of any vintage, to get the goods. They are heavy duty stage amps. They are earthshaking monsters. If you're not gonna let 'er rip, save your $1500-$2000 and get a small combo for the bedroom, because you'll have no idea of the beastly capabilities of these amps.

Waxhead

Totally agree, NOT a bedroom amp and not for the faint. You gotta crank all these MK series amps of any vintage, to get the goods. They are heavy duty stage amps. They are earthshaking monsters. If you're not gonna let 'er rip, save your $1500-$2000 and get a small combo for the bedroom, because you'll have no idea of the beastly capabilities of these amps.
Spot on but you can say the same thing about all Mesa amps.
None of em are made primarily for bedroom use. They're high end gigging amps for pros :cool:

MGSchindel

Spot on but you can say the same thing about all Mesa amps.
None of em are made primarily for bedroom use. They're high end gigging amps for pros :cool:
Actually mesa has had all kinds of little friendly, convenient low wattage practice amps over the years, like the express stuff, the studio line, the subway stuff, etc etc, I don't really know their extended product line, not much of a mesa guy, but my MK amps are STUPID powerful loud.

Waxhead

Actually mesa has had all kinds of little friendly, convenient low wattage practice amps over the years, like the express stuff, the studio line, the subway stuff, etc etc, I don't really know their extended product line, not much of a mesa guy, but my MK amps are STUPID powerful loud.
Hey - I own an Express 5:50 and have gigged with a 5:25 too. They aren't practice amps anymore than a Lonestar, F-50 or Mark is. They have a 5w setting but even that is too loud to crank the gain at home. At 25w & 50w these amps are every bit as massive as a Mark.
What's the studio and subway stuff you mention.

ELA

Hey - I own an Express 5:50 and have gigged with a 5:25 too. They aren't practice amps anymore than a Lonestar, F-50 or Mark is. They have a 5w setting but even that is too loud to crank the gain at home. At 25w & 50w these amps are every bit as massive as a Mark.
What's the studio and subway stuff you mention.

+1 When I owned my F50 it wouldn't even start to deliever the goods until the master was past 9:30.

buddaman71

Student of Life
Gold Supporting Member
I have owned and loved MANY Mesa amps (NOT a metal player BTW) and the one thing that always annoys me on this site is how so many players here say they are fizzy and thin. Maybe in the bedroom, but turn them up even moderately and they are gig monsters.

Even Rectos have some excellent lower gain tones if you don't just crank the gain/treble and dump the mids...

I had a Mk IV for a couple years back in the late 90s and it was the crappiest practice amp but was amazing live. Just sounded twice as loud as it was due to the mid-focus and tone. Great live amp but definitely NOT for home whisper players.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom