Anyone like their HX Stomp for the fx only?

northstar6000

I use the stomp in a couple different configurations.

1. I use it on my pedal board FX only. The delays, modulations, compressors are fantastic. I actually prefer some of the legacy reverbs over the HX Reverbs.

2. I use it as a acoustic preamp for my acoustics. I am using IR’s and the digital modelling. My acoustics have never sounded better.

3 I use the stomp for my bass - using IR’s and the digital modelling. Again it sounds amazing.

There really is nothing like the stomp. It does so much and yet it is such a small pedal that fits on any board.

carl_in_vain

I have a Stomp, have a Rack on the way and had/sold a Floor -- it was too big/in the way of what I was trying to do.

Right now, the Stomp is my headphones and direct/recording solution. I'm getting a rack to take over for the direct/recording part so I can use the Stomp as a headphones solution in other parts of the house (re: 3-y-o) or put it back on my tube amp board as a catchall for modulation. I do have a lot of modulation sounds I prefer from pedals, but the Stomp (plus a MC8) will cover the rest of my bases.

carl_in_vain

I have a Stomp, have a Rack on the way and had/sold a Floor -- it was too big/in the way of what I was trying to do.

Right now, the Stomp is my headphones and direct/recording solution. I'm getting a rack to take over for the direct/recording part so I can use the Stomp as a headphones solution in other parts of the house (re: 3-y-o) or put it back on my tube amp board as a catchall for modulation. I do have a lot of modulation sounds I prefer from pedals, but the Stomp (plus a MC8) will cover the rest of my bases.

Focusing in on the Helix effects vs. individual stomp boxes, there are plenty of pedals I have that I prefer (EH Small Clone, Empress Tremolo2, EQD Grand Orbiter, Catalinbread Adineko, Hermida Audio Rotary Reverb and Strymon El Cap, Timeline and BigSky) and few I'm OK with not having (EQD Pyramids), but it's not like the gulf between those and the Helix stuff is that big.

That said, I much prefer my analog drive pedals in front of the Helix family instead of most of the digital models. There are some I'm OK with (Klon, POT/KOT, KWB), but I just like the tried-and-true boxes up front. I'm even in the process of building a small dirt board for the front of the Rack, and I have a rack drawer that will house a few pedals for its effects loops.

When leaving the cave to jam with friends becomes a thing again, I'll be happy taking the Stomp, three or four dirt pedals and a PowerCab+.

cubistguitar

I use the stomp in a couple different configurations.

1. I use it on my pedal board FX only. The delays, modulations, compressors are fantastic. I actually prefer some of the legacy reverbs over the HX Reverbs.

2. I use it as a acoustic preamp for my acoustics. I am using IR’s and the digital modelling. My acoustics have never sounded better.

3 I use the stomp for my bass - using IR’s and the digital modelling. Again it sounds amazing.

There really is nothing like the stomp. It does so much and yet it is such a small pedal that fits on any board.
Just set up an acoustic patch and loving it. Maybe share what you do for your acoustic.

cubistguitar

Focusing in on the Helix effects vs. individual stomp boxes, there are plenty of pedals I have that I prefer (EH Small Clone, Empress Tremolo2, EQD Grand Orbiter, Catalinbread Adineko, Hermida Audio Rotary Reverb and Strymon El Cap, Timeline and BigSky) and few I'm OK with not having (EQD Pyramids), but it's not like the gulf between those and the Helix stuff is that big.

That said, I much prefer my analog drive pedals in front of the Helix family instead of most of the digital models. There are some I'm OK with (Klon, POT/KOT, KWB), but I just like the tried-and-true boxes up front. I'm even in the process of building a small dirt board for the front of the Rack, and I have a rack drawer that will house a few pedals for its effects loops.

When leaving the cave to jam with friends becomes a thing again, I'll be happy taking the Stomp, three or four dirt pedals and a PowerCab+.
Very cool, you seem like a real power user of these devices and can probably share some great tips and tricks for getting the best from the gear.

Benz2112

Memba?
Gold Supporting Member
I use an HXFX on my main board, and although I get the appeal of the small footprint of the Stomp, the HXFX is a better solution for me. So here is my common signal path:

The Rufus --> Prism --> Broadcast AP --> front end of HXFX --> blocks for volume pedal, dyna comp, mutron filter --> loop 1 of HXFX does 4cm into my Suhr Badger --> loop 2 has the Flint and the MXR Smartgate --> then I add blocks in such as a digital delay, phaser, looper (note I typically place loop 2 after modulation and delay, but before the looper, which is always at the end) --> mono out to amp loop return.

3vYYKZs.jpg

The HXFX is a tad bigger, but as described earlier, UI is optimal for playing around with parameters and signal path, the switches and scribble strips are great, and the I/O is ideal for me.

cubistguitar

I use an HXFX on my main board, and although I get the appeal of the small footprint of the Stomp, the HXFX is a better solution for me. So here is my common signal path:

The Rufus --> Prism --> Broadcast AP --> front end of HXFX --> blocks for volume pedal, dyna comp, mutron filter --> loop 1 of HXFX does 4cm into my Suhr Badger --> loop 2 has the Flint and the MXR Smartgate --> then I add blocks in such as a digital delay, phaser, looper (note I typically place loop 2 after modulation and delay, but before the looper, which is always at the end) --> mono out to amp loop return.

3vYYKZs.jpg

The HXFX is a tad bigger, but as described earlier, UI is optimal for playing around with parameters and signal path, the switches and scribble strips are great, and the I/O is ideal for me.
I have to admit, I looked at the unit more after starting this thread and really see the advantages of the HX FX unit. I could totally see building a board around one in the future. Thanks for sharing your cool looking board, the Broadcast AP looks like a winner too.

StormJH1

Yeah, that's sort of where I have ended up, as well. When I bought the Stomp, I offset the cost of it by selling dozens of effects pedals - most of them drive pedals. This ranged from $15 Chinese clones to $100+ boutiques. And it was the right thing to do because I had too much "stuff" and the HX Stomp offers huge variety in tonal options.

That being said, my reaction to various drive pedals in Helix has been mixed. None of them are "bad", but some are better than others. If anything, it's a "paralysis by choice" situation, since you not only have to choose from dozens of pedal models and navigate multiple pages of settings, but then decide where that effects block works best in the signal chain.

The addition of the Rochester Comp has changed my approach to how I use the Stomp. I like it quite a bit for clean tones and it can be made to be either very transparent or highly "squished". So I'm now running that first on my main patch, followed by an FX loop that goes out to one or more external drive pedals.

The move to 8 blocks in the 3.0 update was huge, because I basically already had an amp, IR, compressor, delay, and reverb occupied on EVERY patch. That's 5 blocks already taken up, so now I have the choice of having multiple drive pedals in one patch, or just using the loop block and running as many externally as I care to chain.

cubistguitar

seems like this has flown under the pedals and effects forum radar. but there are many many users and all have slightly different use cases to share, I think its a brilliant unit and brought me back into the Line 6 camp with its smart design features like the routing, USB audio, good headphone out, modeling and Ir loading, I even like the fact that all the legacy Line 6 stuff is there too

carl_in_vain

Very cool, you seem like a real power user of these devices and can probably share some great tips and tricks for getting the best from the gear.

Thanks, but I fear reports of my apparent knowledge might have been exaggerated.

I thought I was big braining it when I put a dirt pedal-filled loop switcher through the loop send-return of the Helix, and then put that block behind fuzz, Wah, volume and a compressor.

Got a HX Stomp to replace the M5 which has been on my board since 2011. I also have a Strymon Timeline, yet sometimes I want those DL4 Tube Echo and Auto Volume Echoes; aside from that, my M5 was mainly used for Pitch, Modulation and occasional reverb (especially Particle verb). HX Stomp will take over those duties on my new board, plus I will definitely use it more for reverb ... those 5 new HX verb algos are significantly better than the legacy ones from the Verbzilla/M5/M9/M13. Here’s a demo I recently recorded with the Stomp only on reverb (plus on noise gate in one part on the wet part only for gated reverb)

BGrizzMayne

Silver Supporting Member
this is an interesting thread. i’ve wanted a stomp for fx only. thought the hxfx was kinda pointless- it’s bigger and has no amp modeling so why not just buy a morningstar i could use to control a smaller unit and other midi pedals

Chadley

Silver Supporting Member

I absolutely love my HX Stomp. I would go as far as to call it one of the best guitar products ever designed. I use mine for amp modeling with cab IRs, modulation effects (I have each foot switch programmed to turn on tremolo, vibrato and ch, a touch of compression and a splash of hall reverb. I actually prefer it over my old stereo Morgan amp rig in most live playing situations. The tones are on par and it’s incredibly consistent.

I still have several drive/fuzz pedals and a delay and reverb in the loop. I prefer pedals mostly for the tweakability and in some cases (drive pedals and reverbs) the sounds. I like being able to reach down and grab a knob. I tend to prefer working on the fly as opposed to pre programming.

There are so many ways this thing can be utilized and it seems like it excels at all of them. Acoustic guitar, bass, electric. I bet it would even be killer with a keyboard rig.

Top Bottom