• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Anyone liking the El Cap more than the Volante?

Laservampire

El Cap to me just sounds nicer for a basic tape delay sound. You can dial the Volante in pretty close....but comparing them side by side the El Cap just sounded better to my ears overall. It also takes up a lot less room on my small board which allows me to run other pedals, like a Deco.

I really wish the El Cap could work like a normal looper like the Volante does....the SOS looping isn't really a feature I ever use but I would use a standard looper a lot.

But overall, for now I'm happy with my El Cap and having let go of the Volante. Not saying I won't ever go back again....I'm a fickle creature, but content at the moment with my Strymong trio of Deco, El Cap, and Flint on the board along with a few dirt pedals.
Agreed on all points.

I enjoy using the sound on sound mode to make noisy decaying loops, which it excels at.

Not so much fun as a dedicated looper like the Volante but I really wasn’t a fan of how the infinite repeats (or just below that) on the Volante had a frequency specific “ringing” to them that you just couldn’t dial out (as @tripedalreviews pointed out in his review). Whereas the bias control on the El Cap allows for lovely washy repeats that sit under your playing nicely.

People tend to go on about the big box “Stryfecta” but to me the real trio are the El Cap, Flint and Deco. They’re permanently on my board:

homeunit

Platinum Supporting Member
Nice board!

Agreed, the small box trio makes for a really nice and versatile small board setup.

here’s mine:

How are you making out with that Black Box? I was ready to buy one, but a few of the clips I heard sounded pretty top endy.

slide13

Silver Supporting Member
How are you making out with that Black Box? I was ready to buy one, but a few of the clips I heard sounded pretty top endy.
Love it! That and the Timmy I’ve had for quite a while and I’ve had so many really nice overdrives come and go.....come and go....and these remain.

The Black Box 2 has a bright/smooth switch, its internal on mine or external on the Stage Pro Mod version. I tend to like warmer sounds without too much treble and the smooth setting will totally get you that. When I ran mine that way I had to turn the tone and presence both up from where you see them here. After playing around with some other pedals (Duellist for example) I gained an appreciation for a little more cutting tone. So I opened up the BB and switched to the bright mode and there it was. The presence control really helps to control that though, I was able to get it brighter without any harshness.

So for me it’s the versatility that is so great, it can go from darker than I want to brighter than I want quite easily and everywhere in between.

The Boost control is also super useful to dial in the low end. Higher boost and lower gain yields more low end, compared to less boost and more gain. Once you get a feel for the pedal the tweakability is quite impressive.

Gera RG

Silver Supporting Member
Volante has been tempting to me, mainly for the Echorec and presets. But in the videos I found the El Capistan to be warmer-sounding so I stayed with it.

DecoWaves

Gold Supporting Member
I feel like I have shared this elsewhere ....

Originally had the El Cap for a long period of time -- loved it -- had the itch to explore more and swapped it out for the Nemesis (a great multi-algo delay pedal). After a year or so of enjoyed exploration, I had a better understanding of how much I preferred tape-style delays. Just as I was about to reacquire an El Cap, the Volante was released which I opted for. A great pedal, the quintessential magnetic delay machine; the El Cap +++. A lot of great features and control mechanics, it spent a year on my board. During this time, I came to learn -- outside of exploration -- I tended to stick with a few voice/settings that could easily be achieved by the El Cap. Another observation, size is important -- especially when weighed against, or taking into consideration, the real-world use, or lack thereof, of expanded control offerings.

For most of my needs, the size and simplicity of the El Cap was just a better fit for my board and, allowed more real estate to have the DIG as a companion delay -- a great tag-team delay combo. The one other bonus point for the El Cap -- I like the granular/separate controls for the Wow & Flutter and Crinkle. As for the Volante, I still have it here for now but kept in its box -- it's a great magnetic delay tool to have on hand especially if I want to explore those voices and characteristics (think: Drum & part of Studio Tape) not available on the El Cap (example; If I was composing/recording a new song that needed something unique/specific).

Last edited:

KingsXJJ

I love them both so I’m glad both are available. The El Cap is great for playing with others live and the Volante kills it for me in the studio. Best two delays I have ever had.

bradtfw

Silver Supporting Member
I was thinking about getting a second El Cap and favorite switch, but thought that might be a little boring, so I ordered a Volante (only $50 more). I'm definitely keeping the El Cap, but I find that I consistently use 3 sounds, so I'm hoping the Volante can cover two of them.

The one thing that I don't think the Volante can do quite the same as the El Cap (based on demos) is the pseudo-chourus sounds with high wow and flutter, but default tape crinkle level (12:00). I love that sound. I set it for a single 16th note repeat.

Does anyone know if the Tape mode on the Volante is based on an El Cap Tape Head type? I really prefer the "fixed" (Space Echo) type to the "single" (Echoplex) type.

Tung-Sol Tube

Does anyone know if the Tape mode on the Volante is based on an El Cap Tape Head type? I really prefer the "fixed" (Space Echo) type to the "single" (Echoplex) type.
The tape mode is more along the lines of fixed and multi like a Space Echo, rather than single (Echoplex). While this might not be evident in terms of sound alone, the response of mechanics and changes in tape speed (changing delay time artifacts) respond like they would on those units.

The algorithms are different, but they did use the El Cap as inspiration for the tape mode. The Volante’s signal path and gain staging has a different architecture as well.

KennyM

Silver Supporting Member
I found the Volante covered my El Cap needs to the point that I didn’t really need it on my main studio board. I was weaned on Echoplex’s and still have an old Space Echo... the Volante and Brigadier sound Fantastic and are my most used delays. I love the El Cap but the Volante pretty much made it somewhat redundant.

M

Member 202408

I just got an El Cap a few days ago. Haven’t tried the Volante. So far the El Cap has been bit of a disappointment, but I will give it more time as it is not the simplest pedal out there. I want to see what I can get out of it once I learn all of its tricks. But I don’t bond with it yet, and based on this...I am not necessarily very interested in the Volante.

I don't have a Volante, but I rejected it based on lack of "crinkle" control. Having control over that on the El Cap is awesome. I don't necessarily like wow & flutter for my application (slap back) because it gives a chorusing effect. But crinkle adds texture and character while not making it sound modulated.

Blanket Jackson

is Tio's favorite
Gold Supporting Member
I've had them both. I sold the el Cap and kept the Volante. I think that the biggest driver for the decision was (a) I hate secondary functions and (b) I prefer a couple different sounds. YMMV, and either one would work for a day to day delay - along with the DIG. As many have said, the DIG is the necessary companion.

bradtfw

Silver Supporting Member
I don't have a Volante, but I rejected it based on lack of "crinkle" control. Having control over that on the El Cap is awesome. I don't necessarily like wow & flutter for my application (slap back) because it gives a chorusing effect. But crinkle adds texture and character while not making it sound modulated.
I know what you mean. For some songs I like the opposite: low crinkle and high wow. I don’t like how the Volante combines these. In high mechanics settings, I get too much crinkle. It’s really my only complaint about the Volante. It sounds great, but doesn’t fully replace the El Cap. That’s why I’ll keep both. It’s just a lot of real estate.