Anyone listen to FM any more ?

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by Tony Foran, Dec 20, 2016.

1. don carney

don carney Silver Supporting Member

I use my old Marantz. I listen to WDET in Detroit on a regular basis. I also appreciate the Canadian station 89.9 which plays a really good range of music mostly by Canadian musicians. Detroit also has a decent classical music station which plays classic during the day and jazz in the evening. The radio station out of the Traverse City area from Interlochen was one of the great things about summer when I was up in that area of Michigan in my earlier days. I know it is still going strong.

2. mark123

mark123 Member

Hate to reply to my own comment, but went ahead and ordered up a Insignia Tabletop HD Radio from Best Buy today for $50.00. I'll just feed the headphone out into the computer room stereo for better quality (I hope). Take a look at http://hdradio.com/stations for your area and see what's available in your area for free. A lot of the local FM radio stations run 2 or 3 other stations in HD format but only one in normal FM format. Tampa area (where I'm at) has 48 HD stations available for free, just have to have a tuner that can pick them up.

3. django49

django49 Member

Thumbs up for KMHD hereabouts. There are a couple other stations that have their merits locally (one of which I have listened to since 1968) but I find myself tuning them in less and less.

Those were the good old days......Pioneer, Sansui and/or Marantz gear.

4. Mighty Melvin

Mighty Melvin Member

I spent my life searching for a nice-sounding FM tuner, and then moved to Hooterville where it sounds like the classical station is playing mp3s, and not particularly good ones. Poop.

5. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Member

Local stations here are unlistenable. 2 songs, followed by 20 minutes of Hyundai dealer commercials. PBS is pretty much all talk and classical, which is fine if that's what I'm in the mood for. We do get WRTI out of Philly in the evenings playing good Jazz.

6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

I have WCLV on as I type this.

7. Nimbley

Nimbley Member

Not for years, but recently have been. I acquired a 1961 H.H. Scott 350 FM tuner and 299 integrated amp. After careful restoration i was rewarded with pure tube audio bliss. I didn't know FM could sound so good. For the most part we have great rock stations around here, but unfortunately no Jazz on the FM dial.

8. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Member

9. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I have an HD radio in the car. I turn it on occasionally, only to be reminded why I don't listen to the radio. I'm pretty much over DJs and commercials. FLAC files, Tidal, CDs, for the most part for me.

10. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Member

should have said "only in the car and only NPR"

:cool:

11. searing tuna

searing tuna Member

Either dead or on it's way out. In my bdrm I have a Nikko 6065 34watt receiver. This does bring in stations very well but there is no content so I only listen at late night sessions like Little Steven"s show. My big living room rig has a Yamaha RX-V 6665 that does FM and dreadful. My listening tastes have shifted to i-net rasdio stations where every genre of music and be listened to both w/ and w/o commercials. Through the big system radio comes in clear no shifting or cutting out. Due to financial constraints I do not suscribe to Sirus/FX or any oher pay for play stations.....Lew

12. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

I forgot to mention what I use to pickup FM: a late '70s Kenwood Model 600T.

13. radicool

radicool Member

I still like FM. It's the only place I can hear new music - it's too easy to get caught up in only listening to what I already like, so I force myself to check it out from time to time. When I was young and had the time, I listened to everything I possibly could. That's how I learned what was good and what wasn't. And I will say that I do hear new tunes I like now and again; but since I'm an old guy now, in a different demographic, they are few and far between. And I guess that's ok - it's the way the world is supposed to work.

14. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

:cool:

Only when I drive .

:warning It's toss up potpurri on the NPR /Classical/RNR , what ever college stations play .

:dude I still like Dr.Demento , he was an original
    jock here in so.Cal .

EZ :

HR

teleman1 likes this.
  15. Castlebreath

Castlebreath Member

16. csotolongo

csotolongo Member

We have the BEST station in the world in my opinion. KCRW 89.9. If you’re not in L. A. Do yourself a favor and listen online.

Hurricane likes this.
  17. 3waytie4last

3waytie4last Gold Supporting Member

I do at home, only NPR. The garbage truck was in the alley next to my house the other day and for some reason I lost all reception until it left. That was kinda weird and random, never happened before. Also weather lately has been breaking my signal, so I stream the station through my computer if I get static.

I mostly just listen before work in the morning so I know news, traffic, weather, but there's good stuff on the weekend and I can just leave it on for hours. This is a great show from my local station: http://www.soundopinions.org/

18. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

All the time. Mostly NPR, and lately, a regional public radio "spinoff" station that specializes in folk rock/alt country - WEXT:
    http://exit977.org/#stream/0

19. rockinrobby

rockinrobby Senior member Professional musician ... Gold Supporting Member

I have a Mcintosh MR-71 tube FM Tuner > Absolutely love it!! NPR every morning w/ with coffee I also listen to Morning Cup of Jazz and Classical music every day. Also we get KCSB university station and ton of great programs Blues, Jazz, Funk, latin jazz. etc. FM is still alive and kicking here in the SO Cal area ..

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  20. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Only when I visit Colorado... KBCO is killer. In my car at home it's Sirius/XM only and I just renewed it for the next year.