Anyone listening to Johnny Marr's Playland?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Custom Deluxe, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Custom Deluxe

Custom Deluxe Member

Just picked up Johnny Marr's Playland and I love it. I may have blown out my car's speakers listen to Dynamo!

If your a fan of Johnny's I think you'll dig it.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  2. Pixies2005

Pixies2005 Member

Yup :) Seeing him live in a few months.
    Easy Money is a great driving song

3. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I love me some Johnny Marr. How badass is "Boys Get Straight"?

4. 4inchjones

4inchjones Member

I still need to pick it up. I wore out my Messenger CD.

5. Rich_S

Rich_S Member

I bought it as soon as it came out. Just listened to it yesterday on a road trip, along with The Messenger and Big Wreck's Ghosts.

6. flume

flume Gold Supporting Member

Packed with killer hooks and delicious chords at every turn.

In a perfect world, this would be multi platinum.

7. foureyes

foureyes Member

Weird! I am listening to it this very moment! Sounds great so far. :aok

8. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Member

Great album, so was The Messenger. I've gotten to see him twice over the last 18 months or so. His live show is great, the band is tight, and he is obviously having a great time.

9. wscottarmstrong

wscottarmstrong Supporting Member

Great album, probably a touch below Messenger, but both are great. I've seen him live a couple of times recently, and it is great.

If you all are Smiths fans, I just discovered the vast amount of unreleased demo track stuff that has become available over the last few years. The Unreleased Demos and Instrumentals are amazing, and also highly recommend the Troy Tate original mix of their debut album (Reel Around the Fountain in all its glory among others), before John Porter remixed the album that was released.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  10. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Member

Is that the disc with the instrumental "Shoplifters"?

Yeah, I really enjoy the Tate mixes of "Fountain" and "Hand That Rocks the Cradle".

11. wscottarmstrong

wscottarmstrong Supporting Member

Yes, that is it. Instrumental Shoplifters plus 2 untitled Marr Instrumentals, and 13 other Demos, some of which are very different than the released versions. There are also a ton of Smiths and Morrissey documentaries kicking around Youtube, (a lot from the UK) some quite detailed, that are really good for historical footage, and interviews with all of the members.

12. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Member

Yeah, there's lots of good stuff on the Tubes.

One thing I noticed seeing Marr more recently is he is having a great time, unlike the way he looks in many of the live Smith's videos I've seen.

13. Custom Deluxe

Custom Deluxe Member

Hey, thanks. Huge Smiths fan. Can you post a link to the CD you are talking about? I would love to pick it up.

14. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Member

I don't think it has been officially released.

PM me.

15. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

Fender sent out a Jazzmaster based newsletter spam thing with a Spotify playlist. I'm a huge Smith fan, but haven't really like Marr's solo stuff that much. Anyway, Easy Money was on the playlist and it's great. Makes me want to get the entire album.

Here is that playlist if anyone's interested:

https://play.spotify.com/user/fenderofficial/playlist/5LemwKgSuz1OY7OCVAHka2

I'm already familiar with most of the music on it, but the Ryan Adams song also caught me ear.

16. Custom50

Custom50 Member

I grabbed it shortly after it came out based on strong reviews. I hadn't heard any of his other solo stuff but I can say that I think this record is really good. I only listened to it once in the car but I have been meaning to give it another go.

17. [J.K.]

[J.K.] Member

I really love Johnny Marr. Philosophically, I like the way he looks at guitars, and I think he has a fantastic sense for guitar and amp combinations (though I wouldn't mind pushing him toward some more exotic amps at times). He was an undeniably a huge influence on how I approach rhythm playing and voicing my chords.

...that said, I'm just not feeling it on his solo records. I wasn't too interested in his previous few excursions with Modest Mouse and The Cribs, but I felt that the few times where those albums felt Marr-esque were fantastic. His solo records seem to lack the relative smoothness of what I feel he has at top form. Maybe I need to give them both a few more shots, but it certainly didn't feel like something I'd prefer to listen to over the multitude of other acts that I'm interested in.

And, while I'm moaning about over one of my heroes, I'll just put it out there: I'd love to see some of the chorus stripped away from those early Smiths records and replaced with the clean tone he employs these days. His tone has gotten really good lately; just as defined, albeit meatier and with a little edge to it. I just wish the current songs captured me so much.

18. Custom Deluxe

Custom Deluxe Member

I get the gist of what you are saying, but you need to remember The Smiths were huge in the '80's. There was some horrific production going on during this time.

I've been listening to Accept Yourself over and over. It's a B-side and also found on Hatful of Hollow. The guitar tone on this song does have kind of what your are talking about.

Plus, I think Marr was really into experimenting in the studio. If I remember correctly, This Charming Man has something like 15 different layered guitar tracks. One of them is him dropping knives on to the strings of a '54 Tele.

I think his solo stuff is more about pop or rock then the experimentation he was able to do with The Smiths.

When you think about it, very few people were into such cool vintage rigs and guitars as Marr was at the time. The other guy was Roddy Frame of Aztec Camera.

Guitars had a lot pointy ends and fluorescent paint in the '80's.

19. [J.K.]

[J.K.] Member

I've seen SoG cite "Stop Me..." as being the track for knife-dropping.

20. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I have it and am listening to it in the car. I had to get around the fact that when you listen to Johnny Marr, you aren't going to get pentatonic blues licks at all, but that's OK. Being a blue-based guy, it's a little foreign for me, but still good.