Anyone LOVE Buzz Feiten before, and now HATE it?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by gag halfrunt, Sep 16, 2008.

1. gag halfrunt

gag halfrunt A fellow of infinite jest Supporting Member

I've done the searches, and read lots of opinions about the BF tuning system. But I want to hear from people who used to love Buzz Feiten, and now don't any longer.

Why don't you like it anymore?

What do you use now?

Thanks.

2. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

Not that extreme. Some of my acoustic guitars were really problematic, and I really liked BFTS for them, and most of the normal chord voicings. Really helped when playing with a well tuned acoustic piano. Finally noticed certain chord voicings/fingerings I use a lot were worse with BFTS than normal intonation. The final leap occurred when I got a BFTS Tele back from a plek fret dressing and they had intonated the bridge normally. The nut was still closer in, a la Buzz. Everything sounded fine, my favorite voicings included. Yeah, some major thirds sounded wide again, but overall I decided to leave it as is.
    After I mentioned it, the repair guy said, as I already knew, that lots of builders had experimented with moving the nuts closer to the 1st fret, and not to be too surprised that it worked. I keep meaning to go back and try re-intonating with the BFTS offsets again sometime.

3. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

honestly, i have had two guitars set up with a BF system...both were strats and i swore up and down at the time that it made a huge difference in my intonation across various keys. then i got a new custom shop strat and had a professional setup without the BF system. can you guess what i discovered? i couldn't tell a lick of difference between the two. maybe some people really can hear a big difference and i think to a certain extent there probably are some guitars where it does help, but for me I like knowing that my ears don't require that extra modification. i think the suggestive selling of the luthier got to me. sure some people have better ears than others so i'm not saying that it is all bunch of crap, i'm just saying, i used to have the BF and have discovered it really did not make as much of a difference as i thought at first.

4. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

|I've got a Feiten guitar and I thinks it tunes up great. Slightly better than a non Feiten. Howver when you try an alternate tuning on the Feiten forget it...it sucks. I play my non Feiten guitars more.

5. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

I notice a slight difference for the better, of course the guitars I have with the Feiten are andersons and are better made than others anyway. My tele does not have it, nor did my 335, and I could tell a bit of difference. I like big spread out chords, and it is great for that. I think it's all about your touch too, if you have a light touch, sometimes it can help with that.
    Kurt

6. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

I have had my Suhr with BF for about 3.5 years now, and I can say that I have grown to really appreciate it. I can play my normally intonated guitars just fine, and I found I had to make minor adjustments when playing the BF guitar. It wouldn't be a deal-breaker one way or the other for me, but I actually like it more now than a few years ago. It does make a positive difference to my ears.

Steve

7. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Suhr just stopped using it as standard because with the Plek Pro you don't really get sharp notes because of the nut and the frets have no flat spots .

8. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

I can't imagine John not being able to accomplish that without a plek machine.

9. diego

diego Member

Eagle1, where do you see that Suhr has "stopped using it as standard?" I looked a few pages on the Suhr site, and it still is listed on the pro series and as standard on the current price list...

10. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

11. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

http://www.online-discussion.com/Suhr/viewtopic.php?t=2771
    Hear it is.