1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone love Pavement?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Teleking, May 17, 2011.

1. Teleking

Teleking Supporting Member

I am a big fan. I listened to nothing else for about a year. Such quirky, unique songs/melodies/lyrics, and fantastic guitar tones and guitar playing. Really dig this band. And unlike most Pavement fans, I really like their later stuff as much as the early stuff.

Haven't listened to them for about 2 years and started listening again when they started re-releasing their albums with bonus tracks. Wealth of great tunes by this band.

2. mbargav

mbargav Member

Rabid fan here. One of my all-time favorite bands. Like you, I love their entire catalog (also a big fan of Malkmus' solo work).

Have you checked out the Luxe & Reduxe reissue of Slanted & Enchanted yet? It's the original record, plus the Peel Sessions, Watery Domestic (EP), and some live recordings. A must for any Pavement fan.

3. dangerbird

dangerbird Member

Love 'em! Lately, I prefer the Jicks (especially Real Emotional Trash), but six of one.

4. oneleftnut

oneleftnut Supporting Member

Big fan! Used to see them back in the 90's. I also saw Malkmus open for Radiohead a few years ago.

5. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

This is me also. Like fair amounts of the 4 Pavement albums i have, but have listened to R.E.T. a ton. Like the songs, the tones, the playing.

cheers

6. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Yeah, that's a good one - my fave version of a song of theirs is on that:

Summer Babe (Live Brixton Academy, London, Dec. 14, 1992)

7. Chas

Chas Member

I was turned on to them back in college in the eary 90's. The high water mark was "Crooked Rain Crooked Rain" an absolute classic.

8. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

Like, not love. But do love Slanted & Enchanted. Didn't really hold me after that. Great album though.

9. Keasley

Keasley Member

Pretty big fan here and probably followed a pretty typical trajectory.

Bought Slanted when it came out. Loved it. Liked Crooked Rain. Kinda moved on and forgot about Pavement by the mid-90s.

Rediscovered Slanted in the mid 00s. Hey, that's right, this is a really good record. Hmm, Crooked Rain is alot better than I remembered. Some really cool tunes. Kept listening to those 2 albums.

Saw in 09 that Pavement would reform for a tour. Cool. A June show with Broken Social Scene announced Feb 2010. I promptly round up some friends and buy a bunch of tickets. This will be fun. But later it's announced that Iggy and the Stooges are playing a FREE concert the same night as Pavement. Depression. Regret. I like Pavement. But I love the Stooges. But I paid, and lined up friends, so Pavement it is. Plus, technically, I had seen the Stooges a year or two before but it was the Ron Asheton version. And this was going to be James Williamson. Torn. But, yeah, Pavement it is.

And I was completely blown away. I had no idea Malkmus was such an amazing guitar player. And I never realized what a force Bob Nastanovich was. I guess I'd bought the hype and was expecting some cool songs by dour ironic slackers Pavement. Clearly a bad characterization. Malkmus played 'Grounded' with the guitar behind his head. That may be some obscure irony. I dunno. But it's also a damn sure fine 'showbiz' move. Great sound. And some epic tasty solos. Singalongs. A great body of work.

And I had decided before the show that I would be really happy if they played two songs: Conduit for Sale and Stop Breathin'. They played Conduit towards the end of the night with a funny spiel afterwards about how it was inspired by 'Institutionalized' by Suicidal Tendencies (a band I saw in 1984). Stop Breathin' was the last song of the night. Perfect.

A great show. And I decided to check deeper into their catalog. I now think that Wowee Zowee is my fave Pavement album. Too many rock bands overthink their material and overproduce their albums. Pavement/Malkmus clearly were able to say 'good enough' to a first take, warts and all track with some improvised lyrics. I love that about them. Probably my favorite, most played, band from June 2010 to present.

10. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

self-confessed obsessive fan. I love every bit of it. I read an interview with Malk after Wowee Zowee was getting some wtf? reviews. He said there will always be fans that love a record from start to finish, warts and all, and that others would like these songs or those, but maybe not the "imperfect ones". He said he wanted to make what he thought was a perfect Pavement record before stopping. Many critics seem to think that's what Terror Twilight (Nigel Godrich produced) turned out to be, and that the fans rejected it because it was too refined/glossy.
    If I had to name my top 5 Pavement songs, I'm sure they would come from 5 different albums- I think their entire span of work is one of the more interesting catalogs from a band that I have heard.

11. mbargav

mbargav Member

Great minds think alike! You still need to see the Stooges with Williamson though. I saw the first Raw Power show in London last May and they absolutely brought it. Did a bunch of Raw Power era unreleased songs during the encore too.

Same here.

12. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

Pretty big fan myself, starting with Slanted.

I was asked to shoot them last summer at the Greek in Berkeley. They sounded great and were very laid back and friendly off stage. Glad to finally meet them after being a fan for so many years. Here are a couple of samples:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

14. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

I've listened to them since the mid 90s. Bob Nasty lives in my hometown.

15. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

16. blood5150

blood5150 Member

yep....

saw them at Roseland Ballroom in NYC back in the mid 90's...

I think that Shudder to Think opened up????

17. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

Dead on characterization of when I saw them ... 15 years ago? Love Slanted and Crooked, subsequent records had decent material, and getting through that show was an INSANE chore. Glad they've gotten better. LOVEAsheton Stooges, not Williamson, so it seems like a win to me. -E

18. Beng2040

Beng2040 Supporting Member

I've been a huge Pavement fan since the early 90's. Big Malkmus/Jicks fan as well. I saw the reunion tour and it was awesome...it had been 15 years since I'd seen them live, and they played great and amazingly looked almost the exact same as back then...got to re-live my high school years for a night. Good times!

19. mbargav

mbargav Member

20. Bobby D

Bobby D Member