Anyone make a bench amp stand? plans?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by StompBoxBlues, Apr 22, 2015.

1. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I am thinking about making some kind of test bench amp holder. It's always been clumsy for me, when I take an amp out of the cab to work on, I don't like it sitting on the transformers and the tubes are in danger a little of getting dinged, etc. Up until now have been using a few pieces of wood etc. but...

Was buying parts and came across some electronics/guitar amp site that were selling a test bench amp stand. Looked pretty snazzy, and useful but it cost way to much.

So I'm thinking about putting one together. First thought is to use wood.
    Was even thinking it might be possible to have the amp chassis up sitting flat, or if made it right and turned it upside down could have a cutout that would angle the amp at about 50 degrees or so (would sit in a kind of "V") so it faced me instead of me having to hover over the amp (and block the light as I do).

Another thing, it would be easy except I need to have it be an adjustable width as I have several amps and they are not all the same size chassis. Just one side that could be adjusted would work. I need to figure out the widest and least wide to see what that range might have to be. Was thinking about some kind of "slots" where the one side could be moved into a wider slot...just not sure.

Anyway, anyone here make something like that? (pictures and/or plans if you feel like sharing!) and how did it work out?

2. a2dconverter

a2dconverter Member

3. SupremeDalek

SupremeDalek Member

My dad built the same one. I have used it on a few occasions and I find it to be a fantastic addition to the amp shop.

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Whoa, VERY nice. I'm not sure my carpentry skills are up to that but it is great to see we had the same idea that tilting can be really helpful when appropriate. Thinking too, sometimes when one is in removing solder, or cutting off the extra bits of a newly soldered part, kinda nice that it has a good chance of gathering a the bottom.

I thought a bit more and am thinking of trying a simpler one, using a couple of side boards, two dowel rods (rather big) and holes so I can adjust a little the width (holed in the side of boards, that reach the dowel which would be fixed on one side).

One thing I wondered about, sometimes the transformers can be placed a little more out on the edge and are very heavy. Do you find some amps can't really be placed in the tilt position because it wants to tip out? Though you do have that nice ledge on the front (and back) to hold it even better in place.

Great job!!

While I'm at it...just curious. I've been meaning also to make a "fused" power supply using a light bulb (incandescent...there's the rub) that I read about a long time ago. The idea that after doing work on an amp, the first time you power it up, if there is a light bulb in series it would resist the current draw at first, and blow, saving your amp in case there was a dead short. I always liked the idea, but now that incandescents are taboo...do you have anything like that for current limiting on power up after extensive work?

5. a2dconverter

a2dconverter Member

Hey SBB...

Since this is your topic, and you asked about the current limiter as well, I don't think I'm hi-jacking :D

You can see one of these in my previous pix...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You'll need a plug-in adapter for the light bulb

[​IMG]

Recently replaced by this that has a Variac and Voltage and Current meters...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope this helps

seeya

Joe

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  6. jazzguitar14

jazzguitar14 Supporting Member

I don't work on amps often enough to justify a proper stand, but here's my easy fix...

I just use 4 small bar clamps. put a clamp on each corner of the chassis, flip it over and stand the amp on the feet of the clamps... works great for me, its cheap, easy, and will work for any size chassis. Use decent metal clamps and you will have good stability.

7. Couloirman

Couloirman Member

Atlas makes a super classy wooden chassis stand. I have it and it is awesome.

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

a2dconverter, thanks, thats a really nice setup you have. My main point on the light bulb current limiter was, I can't buy incandescent light bulbs anymore here in Norway, have to find some other way.

Thanks also to all the rest of you, all great suggestions! Though I liked the look and style of that Atlas stand, and loved the extra features I don't really need one that beefy. Still thought about making my own (simpler) version but thanks to Garthhog I think I'm going to go for that mojo tone one. It looks very functional, and sleek, takes the least amount of space and seems perfect for the job. Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Again, GREAT setup you have there. I'm envious. Quick question, have you ever had the light bulb blow because of a short in the amp?

Again, the unavailability for me of incandescent light bulbs is a problem. A few years ago I bought the electrical stuff I needed (outlet, bulb socket, etc.) just never got around to putting it together. Thought I would only use it for power up when I wasn't sure so no need for the switch.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  10. LPVM

LPVM Member

I'm absolutely building one of those bench stands. Thanks for the link to the plans!

11. a2dconverter

a2dconverter Member

Hey SBB

if there is a short in the amp, the light bulb lights up brightly and limits the current to the amp. The limit/full switch allows you to bypass the light bulb once you know that the amp is OK and let's you to continue testing the amp or to set the bias.

Seeya

Joe

12. Couloirman

Couloirman Member

Fair enough! My main motivation for buying it was that it looks so good, so even if I start an amp, and then lose steam in the building process and want to leave it on my desk for a few weeks/months my girlfriend doesn't yell at me for making such a damn mess! Very functional art :)

13. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

I like the tilt action above, but I've found that 2-4 large dictionary's work on any size chassis 100% of the time.

14. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

That there is a market for artistically made, boutique quality amp chassis stands is amazing, to me.

15. Couloirman

Couloirman Member

People pay THOUSANDS for a boutique woodworking bench-- why would an amp maker be any different? These chassis stands are a couple hundred. Just another drop in the bucket for people here with $3,000 pedalboards and $5,000 Dumble clones.

16. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

17. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

An amp stand is a techie's tool.
    How many techs are buying artwork chassis holders?
    I would guess very very few.
    That means that folks with deep pockets are opening up their amps often enough to want a fancy amp holder.
    I simply did not realize that.:eek:

18. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

The only evidence we have here, is a guy who IS a techie, that opted (he made it himself but I'd say it is "artwork", beautifully constructed and practical) for that. I don't know that they are becoming status symbols, or how many get sold or to who.

But yeah...I get too, always gotta have it "nice" where often real techs, pros, I bet a lot of them have two-by-fours, with carpet tacked on...guys that work on amps every day.

Still, I went for the more sparse one myself, I need it functional but if I had the bucks and space, I wouldn't mind having that other style. Seems practical too as well as nicely made. In the end, it's just to make it easier to work on amps. With 2 x 4's and the lighting I have, my head is always making shadows, my eyesight is worse, so it isn't a good combo. I'm looking forward to tilting the amp chassis so I can get light on it while working.

19. Atlas Stands

Atlas Stands Member

Just stumbled on this thread and thought I'd let y'all know I'm working on the next generation amp chassis stand here this week…it will attach directly to the chassis with bolts or screws and spin 360 degrees like a roasted pig, as well as lock into place in 30 degree increments.

I'll be finishing up my first one this week. I think it'll be a nice design improvement, much faster to flip an amplifier project over without a hassle. I still have a few more ideas I'd like to try before calling it a completed design. This picture is from yesterday.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the support! Doing all I can to contribute to amp building, making it more fun and easier on the back, arms and eyes.

Kind Regards,
    Josh