Anyone make a cab identical to the Marshall 1965 4x10 cabs?

guitarman3001

Just curious. I have a full stack, straight and slant, but am wondering if anyone makes a cab to those identical specs.

They are the best cabs I've ever used. Lighter and punchier than any 4x12, 2x12, or 1x12 I've used, but you don't see many of them around so they'd be hard to replace if anything ever happened to them. I've seen the Marshalls selling on Reverb asking more for just one cab than I paid for the complete pair but it would be nice if someone made a clone just to have some options.

Heinz57Pep

Nothing to add other than those are indeed great cabs. Much better than the same-size 2x12s from that period.

guitarman3001

Nothing to add other than those are indeed great cabs. Much better than the same-size 2x12s from that period.

It's mindboggling that Marshall hasn't reissued these. With the proliferation of mini and micro heads, those 4x10s would be a perfect match for them. But as usual, Marshall has its head firmly up its own hind end and keeps putting out mediocre or overpriced crap that sounds like crap or is built like crap or is way beyond the financial reach of most players and refuses to put out stuff that people might actually want, like the 4x10 cabs.

Heinz57Pep

It's mindboggling that Marshall hasn't reissued these. With the proliferation of mini and micro heads, those 4x10s would be a perfect match for them. But as usual, Marshall has its head firmly up its own hind end and keeps putting out mediocre or overpriced crap that sounds like crap or is built like crap or is way beyond the financial reach of most players and refuses to put out stuff that people might actually want, like the 4x10 cabs.
And there's your double-edged sword: If Marshall were to reissue those, they would almost certainly be overpriced and crappily constructed.

guitarman3001

And there's your double-edged sword: If Marshall were to reissue those, they would almost certainly be overpriced and crappily constructed.

Yep, probably true. Marshall isn't the same company they once were. But think about it, they had a pretty big hit with the Mini Jubilee, and one of those 4x10s, or even the full stack, would be perfect for it. No reason they can't put those out for under $500 with a decent build quality.

B Money

I'm pretty sure Mojotone offers a 2x12 slant or straight cab that is the same dimensions as the Marshall 1965. You could probably request a 4x10 baffle instead. that's the only difference.

guitarman3001

I'm pretty sure Mojotone offers a 2x12 slant or straight cab that is the same dimensions as the Marshall 1965. You could probably request a 4x10 baffle instead. that's the only difference.

I saw that one but it's actually a little bigger and quite a bit heavier. The nice thing about the Marshall 4x10s is they're light as a feather.

The original 20W amps came with 4x10s in this format. Then Marshall reissued the 20W:er and opted to go 2x12 instead, probably thinking people would prefer the 12" drivers. Perhaps they even thought that 4x10 would be considered too american or dishing up too little low end.

I'm quite positive it's no big deal replacing the baffle w. a 4x10 one, as long as you know your way around a powered saw.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
I have a slant 4x10, and used to have another one back in the 90's. I really like them, a lot of tone in a compact package, and like someone said: they are really light. They aren't easy to find though, and seem to be around $600 when you do. Which isn't that bad, if it's the cab you've got to have. It's not like they break or something.

There's a lot of anti-10" driver sentiment out there based on theories not easily verifiable via "science". So, low demand: low supply.

image_1.jpeg

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
I had Peter Mather build me a replica of the 1966A 2x12 and it turned out great. I love the sound of these btw - have never played the 4x10 version. I would contact Mather Cabs and have him make you one.

spence

Silver Supporting Member
I had Jeff Swanson build this one. It's not exact measurements of the Marshall, but I'm sure he'd build one for you if you gave him the plans. Stagecraft is another good idea. They built the head shell for the Landry head in the picture, and did a great job.

guitarman3001

I checked out the Stagecraft ones. They look like they're slightly bigger than the Marshalls but only by a couple of inches. They might work if I ever need to replace the Marshalls.

B Money

Avatar offers two different ones. I think closed back with greenback speakers would be pretty similar to the 80s Marshall cabs:

https://avatarspeakers.com/shop/guitar-cabinets/traditional/g410-traditional/

https://avatarspeakers.com/shop/guitar-cabinets/vintage/g410-vintage/

I'm sure those are nice cabs, but they're not very similar to the Marshall 1965 cab.

Guitar Center always seems to have a couple of them in the used section, right now there are four 1965A and one 1965B cab on their website, and none of them are over $400. They are somewhat rare but certainly not unobtanium.

theyre still around, just keep watching GC used, reverb, etc. i saw several in the last 6 months or so and with all larger cabs these days theyre always super cheap. i saw one for $250.

B Money

I have a 1965A and love it, keep thinking about getting a matching 1965B, but I need another cabinet like I need a hole in the head.
I've already got a pair of 1960 cabs in the basement I'll probably never use again.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom