anyone make a exact mexican strat body replacement?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by missing_dave, Feb 8, 2008.

1. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

just looking for a swap out? would take 10minutes if it was made to the mexico specs (are they the same as usa body and holes?)

allparts? anyone done it before?

2. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Well some of the earlier Mexican bodies have a narrow trem screw spacing. Standard Fender spacing is 2-7/32" I think those MIM ones were 2-1/16". A new trem is not a big deal to install in a new body and some like Wilkinson have a narrow string spacing while maintaining the standard screw spacing.

3. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

what qualifies as earlier? heck i dont even know how to tell what year mine is??:jo

i was also trying to not have to buy any new parts especially since ive upgraded the block already...

4. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Just measure the two E screws center to center - early ones were 2-1/16" & modern ones are 2-7/32"

5. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

ahh..simple....thanks ! im guessing that if those match my bridge then the rest (pickguard,neck pocket) will fit ??? i figuring this cause the string spacing has to line up with that neck pocket etc..? or is it just the screw holes (bridge) that your talking about?

thanks mike.. sorry for all the details in new to this part of bodies/replacements..

6. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

The narrow Mexi trems have both narrow string and matching screw spacing. I actually like the narrower bridges better because it lets me roll the fretboard edges more for a nice vintage feel. If your replacement body is drilled for standard 2-7/32" spacing you'll need a new trem.