Anyone make a good strat style aged neck?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mike M, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Mike M

Mike M Supporting Member

Anyone make a relic strat style neck? Does not have to be or say Fender anywhere on the neck.

thanks

2. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Warmoth and USACG do great necks, and RS does great finish work.

3. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

You could try doing the vintage amber tint yourself, it's not as hard as you might think.

4. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Here's an idea, how about asking about who makes the best neck, or the best neck for the price... :jo Keef earned his gnarled appearance. Guitars should be no different...

5. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

And you are the High Priest of What People Shall Play why exactly???

Here's an idea...:moon

6. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Cuz I'm old enough to remember not just "pre-ripped" jeans, but also late 70s era "punk" wear, complete with safety pins available at Sears. "Relic" players are the ultimate posers. look up the definition. Posers eventually get smart enough to realize just how silly they were. They rarely admit it in public and try to destroy the pictures but they eventually get it. :dude

Admit it, unless you are one, aren't you just waiting for all the "whiga's" you know to outgrow it. 5 years later they'll be all "No I didn't!" Oh yeah? What's that "Thug Life" Rocker Tat doing across your doughy white belly? Relics aren't as embarassing as that, but they are just as legitimate :)

7. Mike M

Mike M Supporting Member

Actually I have a pretty beat up Strat and I hate the neck so I am trying to find a better one that will fit the guitar and not be so bright and shiney.

8. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

9. 3Tone

3Tone Member

10. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

It's called scotchbrite. Very versatile product. Get the best neck you can, and if you must, buff it "flat".You'll end up with a better playing neck for less.

11. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Man you are a Judgemental sarcastic one aren't you? :rolleyes:

The guy didn't ask for a Reliced Guitar...........but a Reliced Neck. Last time I checked people didn't see the back of a guitar neck when your playing so how is that being a Poser? Heres an Idea...........maybe he digs the way it feels? Feel and playability make you a better player my friend.

I find most Reliced guitars to be better guitars IMO. The light finish or lack of finish helps the tone and no doubt they feel and play better to me. There is a reason for the madness , not just a Poser look as you put it. :NUTS

12. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    So by your logic, if every guitar's appearance has to be genuine and "earned", then anyone using a burst or goldtop or black custom Les Paul is a poser, right? Obviously they're playing guitars that simply recall the look of a genuine/vintage Les Paul, right?

And anyone using any signature model guitar is obviously a poser, too, right?

Attention all EJ Strat owners:
    YOU ARE A BUNCH OF POSERS!
    :)

Still, try as I might, but after years and years on gear forums, I STILL cannot understand why anyone gives a rip about what kind of guitars or gear other people play, or what others spend their money on....

What's the motivation behind making judgments about people based on what gear they play or what they spend their money on?

Does it make them feel better about their own gear decisons?
    Does it make them feel better to justify a supposedly superior point of view?
    Someone please enlighten me, because I just don't get it.
    :rolleyes:

13. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Ummm... This one simply defies logic... Nice try... I think it's pretty clear what I'm talking about. did you go to the site listed? http://www.grguitars.com/parts_5ready%20to%20ship.htm Sweet fancy Moses on buttered toast! I look at those fretboards and all I can think is "someone needs to trim their nails! :crazy

I should preface this by saying I spent my fair share of time in music retail, and working with a luthier in the late 70's and 80's, so I am a jaded pain in the backside. I admit I shouldn't care. I admit I'm being judgemental. I admit I take great pleasure in laughing my patootie off looking at the mistakes people are trying to pass off on Ebay as reliced pieces of art!

Signature guitars that offer features otherwise unavailable are definitely overpriced, but hey, if it has a neck radius, or something like that you can't get anywhere else, and you can afford it, go for it. My first question, being judgemental and unjustifiably arrogant about my gear choices is always going to be "what does that guitar offer you". If the answer is "well, I've always loved strats, but I prefer a gibson neck radius and this one gives me that, plus I like the soft V shape" and proceed to rip out some righteous riffs, I'll toast you :BEER If on the other hand you say "well I've always been able to hear the difference between poly and nitro, so I had to go with the nitro" and then watch you plug into a modeling amp and butcher "smoke on the water". I will shake my head, and slowly back away trying not to erupt in laughter. I promis I won't EVER bring this up on this board again. EVER. and i apologize for hijacking this thread. I hate it when it happens to mine...

14. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

If you can't add something helpful to the discussion, best to find a thread that holds some interest for you.

No one asked 'what's your opinion of relic'd replacement necks?'

Jeeez. let the guy get his info.

15. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Hey at least your honest and realize your a Judgemental arrogant Forum member. Where you made your mistake was you already Judged and accused Mike M of being a Butcher and a hack just becuase he innocently asked for some Info here on some gear. Thats what we do here. This is a GEAR forum. You only have 40 posts Lamenlovenit..........I suggest you get some more respect for your fellow formites. There is a wealth of knowledge here and even YOU don't know it all believe me.

16. axestronomer

axestronomer Member

It's what you do with a guitar that matters most. You can have all the top of the line stuff. This look ,that look, botique whatever. It's what you can do with what you have that really matters.

17. showman(tx)

showman(tx) Member

I'd also add that the joy a guitar or amp brings to the owner is what really matters. I'm sure there are several people on this board (include me) that play at home in their music room when they can steal time away from their job, the wife, the kids, the yard, etc and the joy they get from these few minutes with a guitar is what counts. It really doesn't matter if this time is spent with a homemade relic, a high priced brand x, a Crate or a Dumble, these few minutes and the joy it brings is how they choose to spend their time and $$. It's their hobby and their passion, and why some continue to criticize the choices they make I'll never understand ...

Oh, let me add ... don't chase an aged neck, find a neck that fits you (nut width, profile, board, etc) then worry about the finish. You can specify many of the specs with Warmoth, USACG, etc so find a neck you love then finish it yourself with amber nitro, steel wool, micromesh, etc (it's easier than you think) or send it to someone for the finish (Mark Jenny, etc).

18. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Big mike and oldschool. I didn't say I was a Judgemental Arrogant Forum Member, I said I was a Judgemental Arrogant Pain in the Backside...

19. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Plus 1000!

20. stu2

stu2 Member

If it feels good and sounds good then it is good. If the look is important, then go for it but think of this before you buy: the more you play a nitro finished guitar (or any guitar), the faster YOU relic it. Look at it as a challenge, the more you play it the better it looks and the better you get. I've got a 1996 '57 RI Tobacco burst Strat and a new 2006 MIM 60's Strat (both were purchased new) and both sound very good. The '57 looks really cool with it's worn neck but the MIM 60's sounds just a tad better.

P.S. I like the reliced look but I don't want to pay for it.