Anyone make a Marshall 1922 Cab clone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jzucker, Mar 19, 2008.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

2. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Yes, and it was a big mistake. The 1922 cab does not have enough cabinet volume, so it sounds thin, little bass, very directional, at least my 1922 copy does.

I am in the process of cutting a baffle and making it a 112.

I built a marshall 1912, marshall 1936, and mesa recto 112 cab. Those all turned out great.

If you are going to build one, build the 1936, when you make it out of all plywood its a nice cab.

3. jzucker

That's not my experience at all. I love dmy 1922 cab. It was the best sounding 2x12 cab for a marshall cab that I have heard. Very vintagey sounding and great with a plexi-50. I had no problem getting volume or bottom end.

4. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Huh, that's not been most folks experience. What speakers were in it? V30's?

5. jzucker

I had greenback reissues in mine. Would you recommend something else instead? All 3 of my cabs are open-back with Emi RW&B speakers and I want to get a closed back 2x12 that gets more of the british sound.

6. blackba

Must be your greenback speakers...

For the 1922 copy I have tried the following Celestions: 2 G12T-75's, 2 Vintage 30's, one G12T-75 / one Vintage 30, 2 G12H30's, 2 Eminence V30s, and 2 Oxford speakers. The G12H30's sounded the best, but the cab always sounded thin and boxy, very directional. The bass was always lacking too. That is why I am currently making this 1922 a 112 and cutting a new 112 baffle for it. My buddy ran the dimensions in his program (acoustic Engineer) and says that making it a 112 will help lower the resonant frequency and should help with the boxiness. I have tried it open back too, with no luck. If it doesn't work as a 112, I am giving it away. I am upset with myself for not researching this cab before I built it.

I guess I should have just tried greenbacks.:jo So how many 1922 copies do you have and what are you looking to do, I am confused :confused:

7. jzucker

I have none. I had one about 6 years ago and stupidly sold it.

8. undersiege

undersiege Member

can somone give me the dimentions to the 1936 they built? i have some time this week and i would like to put one together

9. pappafox

pappafox Member

I'm having John from Stoneage Cabs build me a 2x12b (closed back) cab, which is real close to the 1922 dimensions, except his is two inches deeper. I'm looking for "grab and go", and since I'm always miked, I don't think I'll have any issues. Been using a real nice OS 2x12 with h75 scumbacks, sounds great, but it's gettin' real old real fast schlepping it around.

10. blackba

Since this really old thread was brought back up, I thought I would post about the 1922 as a 112 opened back cab. I now really like it as a 112. I first tried it with a Weber 1265 and closed back. It worked well. I currently have a 4ohm Weber 12F150 with the back opened. Its my grab and go cab for my Fenders.

The 112 sounded much more even and I actually got more bass and dispersion out of the cab. It actually sounds bigger than it did as a 212.

undersiege, I responded to your PM, but here is the link again: http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/copy_cabinets.html