Anyone make 'em necks like Tyler does?

KennethC

Tylers are well-known for their worn-in necks that simply make you want to play more, and better. Whether it's the ultra-thin satin finish on the back, the well-rolled neck/board edges, or the tasteful neck-scalloping on the higher frets, Tyler necks seem to do it real good for me.

I was just wondering if any of the guitar neck manufacturers/suppliers (USACG/Guitar Mill/Warmoth etc.) out there have the ability to make 'em like Tyler does. Or is Tyler really just in a class of its own?
Feel free to post pics of your guitar necks for illustrative purposes! :dude

KennethC

Thanks John.

So this is it guys, the verdict is out? Come on, I'm sure someone rolls those edges just like Tyler...? hehehe.

Man if this thread doesn't get any better, I'll prob have to get myself a Tyler! :( :)

BluePowder

BUY BUY BUY!!!

The scalloped edges of tyler necks are great, I've never seen this feature on other guitars out there on the market. Its gives a very nice broken in feel to the guitar.

KennethC

BUY BUY BUY!!!

The scalloped edges of tyler necks are great, I've never seen this feature on other guitars out there on the market. Its gives a very nice broken in feel to the guitar.

You're horrid, bro! :Spank

I'm just abt to man, just abt to. Yikes.

Kappy

Actually, I thought Musikraft rolled the edges on request. Have you asked them? You could have any luthier do it too. It's not a very complicated procedure, and it's not something unique to Tyler guitars. Let's dispense with some of the silliness.

That being said, Tyler guitars in general are pretty sweet.

KennethC

Actually, I thought Musikraft rolled the edges on request. Have you asked them? You could have any luthier do it too. It's not a very complicated procedure, and it's not something unique to Tyler guitars. Let's dispense with some of the silliness.

That being said, Tyler guitars in general are pretty sweet.

Thanks...this coming from an owner of Tylers is refreshing :)

I'll check with Musikraft.

Now anyone do shmear finishes like Tyler does? hahaha :jo

Trying to get myself the ultimate Tyler copy here huh...

Kappy

O yeah, I see what you mean. It can't hurt to ask them anyway. And again, a good luthier (who is familiar with Tyler guitars) can probably do the exact thing they do. Even Tyler does different levels of their rolling. On the 3-4 I've had they all had varying levels of the same thing.

KennethC

Roger that...

Might just wind up getting a real Tyler myself. I know I prob won't regret it, but the cost is quite prohibitive for me now. But still...:drool

bribrigingo

Silver Supporting Member
I pieced together a comparable guitar after playing a Burning Water. I bought the neck from USACG and they rolled the edges to give the neck a more broken in feel.
I must admit it still wasn't as comfortable as the Burning Water I was trying to emulate, but still, pretty good, especially considering the price.
I get tons of compliments on the guitar.

BluePowder

My Ernie Ball Musicman Luke has got really nicely rolled off fingerboard edges, some of which have been actually contoured and chamfered down.

Perfectly rounded fret edges too.

Come check it out if you have the time Kenneth! :D

KennethC

I pieced together a comparable guitar after playing a Burning Water. I bought the neck from USACG and they rolled the edges to give the neck a more broken in feel.
I must admit it still wasn't as comfortable as the Burning Water I was trying to emulate, but still, pretty good, especially considering the price.
I get tons of compliments on the guitar.

Thanks man, I bet it's worth the cash...

My Ernie Ball Musicman Luke has got really nicely rolled off fingerboard edges, some of which have been actually contoured and chamfered down.

Perfectly rounded fret edges too.

Come check it out if you have the time Kenneth! :D

Okie dokes, thanks bro! Rollin' rollin' rollin'...just rollin' rollin' rollin'...

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
My last Suhr has the edges rolled. Not as much as Tyler's usually do, but it was a pleasant surprise since I did not request it that way.

buddastrat

On that Stevenson, there is only two bolts holding the neck on! There's gotta be something else internally holding it together! That is one f'ugly headstock.

full3.jpg

SteveStevens

Umm, I guess if you need "Fender" on the headstock. This is old news, but how is it any uglier than Suhr, D'Pergo, Tyler, Anderson? I won't mention which of those ones I find dead hideous. Regardless, I admire them all for having a design. (Though the Kramer Pacer comes to mind for a couple, but I digress...)
At any rate, the two bolt neck has 2 internal wooden tenons that run along either side of the bolts. You could take off the screws and the neck would still be attached. VERY solid and more wood contact. Sounds great, BTW. You won't get to do any Frisell-esque manual wrenching, unless you're on steroids, though.

Steve

Trending Topics

Top Bottom