• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Anyone make repro T-tops?

smolder

Gold Supporting Member
I am looking for relatively low output humbuckers for my SG special. It has bueen suggested that something in th 6.5 to 7.5 range makes sense on solid mahogany. Any thoughts?

Sprinter

You could buy a used T-Top on Ebay. Why buy a reproduction when you could get the real thing?

Sprinter

smolder

Gold Supporting Member
You could buy a used T-Top on Ebay. Why buy a reproduction when you could get the real thing?

Sprinter
because they are expensive... and like all pickups of old, the consistency is not great. It's frankly a crap shoot... even with PAF's. @$200 plus per... there are a lot of really good consistent winders out there now.

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
Lollar low wind imperials. Not t-tops but great lower output hb's.

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
For that matter is there a current model Gibson pickup with the same coil turn count and gauge and magnet type as the T top?

just_one_more

Gold Supporting Member
I had a pair of t tops in a lp, they just did not do it for me. They measured 8.1k. Not sure if this is standard or not. I have some classic 57s in one of my sg. My personal preference would be to have a lower wind in the neck like high 6k or low 7k range with a2 magsr would be a good choice. Upper 7k trange like the classic 57 in there now is perfect for the bridge. As usual this is just my trip and this particular slab of wood.Ytmv.

smolder

Gold Supporting Member
For that matter is there a current model Gibson pickup with the same coil turn count and gauge and magnet type as the T top?
Not that I can find... saw a chart on the mylespaul forum of all the gibson hums... and if I'm not mistaken the burst #1 is the lowest. I'd like a high 6 in the neck and a low 7 in the bridge (I think).

Top Bottom