Anyone making a Dumble SSS copy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by le_plastique, Feb 8, 2008.

1. le_plastique

le_plastique Member

Besides Two Rock? And if it isn't $15,000 that would definitely be an upside. I'm not really into the ODS amps from what I've heard, but I really dig the SSS.

2. le_plastique

le_plastique Member

Nobody? I know Fuchs is making something called the Clean Machine but I can't seem to recall ever reading anything about it's control layout and on whether or not it was Dumble inspired.

3. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

Carol Ann might have something along those lines. A texas style or something. Go to the website.

4. scottl

scottl Member

The Sterling from TR is along those lines. DSPBlues (Warren) on TGP, has one. I have not had the pleasure of hearing it, but it sounds really sweet based on our conversations and his clips.

Tommy Cougar from Mystic Amps fame has a model he makes for Phil Sayce that also is supposed to be derived from the SSS. http://www.custombycougar.com/ Click here for description of his SSS model http://www.custombycougar.com/mystic.html

Lastly, Andy's clean machine is somewhat derived from it as well based on what he told me. I have played it, but at low NAMM levels. Seemed nice, but honestly I have not ever played the others or a real SSS so I can't comment as to which is best.

5. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

6. le_plastique

le_plastique Member

Ahhhhh... Warren. It must be nice owning the Rolls Royce of BF Fender-like clean.

p.s. You ever try it through 10s? I would think that amp thru 4 EVM 10Ms would be... oh man, I don't even want to think about it.

7. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

No, haven't tried that... but I also would say this this amp isn't very Fender like. More Dumble voiced. It loves Strats.

8. le_plastique

le_plastique Member

Huh... that's weird. To me it sounds like a hyper-idealized BF from all the recordings I've heard.

9. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Wichita over at Guitar 25 apparently has something up his sleeve for a Singer-style amp, just drop him a line, he's good people.

_TJK*

10. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

The Clean Machine (tm) is somewhat inspired by the SSS in a few ways, although not what I would call a clone: It runs the power tube screens at a lower voltage [via a hexfet regulated supply], it has a direct coupled driver circuit to the power tube grids [see in many SSS amps], and a very overrated power supply. It stays together quite tightly up to clipping, and has an extremely high damping factor. More like a tube bass amp than your average guitar amp, in terms of the power amp design. It's definately been voiced in the blackface camp imho, especially in the preamp tone shaping and the reverb voicing.

I don't know for sure how close the TR Sterling is to a SSS. Not sure if it has the DC coupled driver or the screen supply differences present in a real SSS. It's obvious the preamp is inspired by the SS (it has the frequency contour switches), but I don't know how close it is to a real SSS. Like many Dumbles, there are different variants and power sections in the SSS's I've seen.

Hopefully, our new webpage will be up in the not-too-distant future with full specs.

11. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

and, I have something similar coming too!:BEER

12. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

Yeah I just got mine in...
    Call me if you like and I will give you the details. HUGE sounding amp.

13. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Gold Supporting Member

Any details that could could let out please? 'verb, I hope.

14. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

The one that I have is in Stock and wonderful. Get in touch if you are interested...not cheap, but darn good.

15. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

More info on these "big time ODS" amps please. PM me if you like or post publicly.

16. Tommy C

Tommy C Member

Hi Scott,
    Thanks for mentioning, the new Sayce version amp is really my own brew , only part of the EQ is inspired by King D :)

the SLS amp is derived from the real deal , however the orders on the few I will make are already taken,

T

17. Tommy C

Tommy C Member

Ok here is tip for from the ole Mystic man ,,
    the lowbrow way to get the best SRV tones (and also thats what Diaz did for Stevie) are out of a modded Fender amp, take a super reverb and add 4 EV 10" speakers on a thicker baffle and then alter the frequency range slightly in the circuitry and then hang in a Twin OT ( will be reflecting 2 ohm when running 2 6l6) and you are home, ,, and without getting totally deaf LOL the 150w amps are really way way too loud for most gigs ,but believe me this sucker is crazy loud too!!! I have been getting mails from young kids wanna sound like stevie and want a 150w amp , but they dont realize how loud these suckers are and to get that sound you will need EVs too and that makes it even louder ,,CRAZY :):dude

Cesar Diaz was kind enough to me to share some detailed secrets with me back in the old days bless his soul

,,well so been there done that,, :dude

Tommy Cougar

18. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Thanks, dude! That was really helpful.

:confused:

19. Tommy C

Tommy C Member

hmm, well ecscuse me for sharing some basic ideas,, :confused:
    well I tell you just do the EV speaker and Twin OT ,,it will get you close,

happy trails

20. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Thank you Tommy...some of these folks are too lost in circuitville :)