1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone making cool P90 equiped Teles?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Grant Ferstat, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a P90 equiped Telecaster. I've been considering trying to find a Tele Jr which come up from time to time on eBay, but I think I'd rather something in standard Fender scale length. It seems that most people building Teles with Humbuckers and P90s seem to go to a 24 3/4 inch scale.

I guess there's always the Warmoth route...

Anyone able to offer any suggestions?

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Vinetto.

It's a 25" scale, so it's not entirely Fender-y, but I bet it'd be Fender-y enough...

3. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Thanks Dave, I'll check them out.

Anyone else?

4. e-z

e-z Member

5. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Suhr makes a rippin example. Look on the Make n Music site. I'm still trying to keep myself from buying it. AC

6. Grant Ferstat

7. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

CHAPIN!!!! For the seriously toneworthy axe. I've had the pleasure of playing a couple. Whoa mama!!!

8. Cliff

Cliff Member

My Tele Jr. has the normal Fender scale. Very nice guitar, but I changed out the standard P-90s, which were too hot and mushy for my taste.

9. Lammy

Lammy Member

I just got a parts tele off ebay with a gibson P90 in teh neck and aHarmonic Design S90 in the bridge, it sounds amazing. Im a P90 lover for sure now.

10. Leucadian

Leucadian Guest

Lentz "L90/Broadkaster":AOK

...had mine for about a week now...amazing guitar. Scott's P90 is inspired by the L5 variety and has totally turned my ears inside/out.

11. Grant Ferstat

I don't want to be a pain, but are you absolutely sure about the scale length?..even Fenders specs said 24 3/4 not 25 1/2. It's possible they changed I suppose. Would you mind measuring for me?

12. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

[​IMG]

There ya' go - enjoy...
    It's german, it's handmade
    It rocks, it squawks, it fonks, it spanks.

Here is the Junior:

[​IMG]

JJ

13. Mike_C

Mike_C Member

What about Fender? They make the aerodyne which is a p-90 soapbar in the neck and a standard tele in the bridge. I know it's not the cache of a boutique builder but they are pretty good guitars.

14. Blauserk

Blauserk Member

+1. Marvelously versatile instrument with superlative quality. Here's a couple photos of mine. I've always had at least one Tele in the stable since 1985 or 1986, and lemme tell you: Not a Tele shape, but does what that a Tele can do and more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. MVrider

MVrider Member

I don't like bolt-necks for the simple reason it's like hitting a curb when you go up the neck. The Fender Custom Shop will make you a set-neck guitar or at least they were making them a few years back. I got a set-neck Tele with chambered mahogany body, maple top and 3 P-90's. Equal parts Goldtop, ES-5 and hot-rod Telecaster. Everything else has been sold or just gathers dust....

16. Grant Ferstat

Guys, I really need a P90 in the bridge, not just in the neck position.

I've never been a big neck pickup user. I actually used to own an LP Junior that I loved the sound of, I just couldn't get used to the feel of it-the balance, scale length etc. I like to be able to bend behind the nut too.

17. Cliff

Cliff Member

Realfi - The scale length on my Tele Jr. is 25.5". I've got an old Fender brochure from the 90's that lists it as 25.5" as well. I've discussed the Jrs. many times and have never heard of one with the shorter Gibson scale. But, who knows. Maybe Fender went Gibson on us.

18. Leucadian

Leucadian Guest

...Lentz also makes a guitar with a P90 at the bridge and neck...check out www.lentzguitar.com

19. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

Realfi, are you thinking of the Tele Sonic? I believe that's a 24 3/4.

20. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Tele Jr. is standard Fender scale length.