anyone mix scumback h75's and m75's in a 4x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by crimson on pink, Jan 25, 2008.

1. crimson on pink

crimson on pink Supporting Member

looking for some 12's to throw in the stone age 4x12 i'm gonna order. need advice. judging from soundclips, the h75's and m75's are more my style. i need something that snarls in a darker way, not too dark, ala leslie west, tony iommi, but with a big bottom end. i'm running a 2x15 but it just doesn't seem to hit you in the chest like it should. looking for that in these. anyone mix them in a 4x12? or on their own? running a sunn head with 6550's dimed with a p90. looking for a massive, thick, warm tone that cuts well. open to other suggestions too!!! thanks

2. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I'm curious about this myself. From the clips on the site, that sounds like it'll be awesome. I'm tempted to do that with a 212. I actually have a mid '70's Marshall check cab with 3 Rola Greenbacks (55Hz) and one Rola Blackback G12H30 (75Hz). I moved two of the Greenbacks to my Zbest cab and they sound great but I think I may pull the Blackback and mix the two as Greenbacks are a little papery when hit hard.

3. crimson on pink

crimson on pink Supporting Member

yeah, from the clips, those two are the closest to the type of tone i like, but i'm wondering if together they're too much of a good thing. i doubt it. haha. also, curious on what wattage speaker i should get? 30 or 65? i like a little breakup, though i plan on running my studio pa head into 2 guild 2x15's on each side of a stone age 4x12 running a coliseum pa head. that's my plan. but for now it'll just be the 1 2x15 and the 4x12 by the one head. for now. haha.

4. hamfist

hamfist Member

Jim is just about to ship to me an M75 and an H75, which I intend to mix in a 2x12. I'll let you all know how it turns out. There certainly have been folks who have posted in the past who have loved that mix. I believe "big Mike" has been a real advocate of the M75/H75 mix.
    I'm sure a bit of searching willl turn up some opinions.

5. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

M's and H's are regularly mixed,I believe Big Mike the mod here,has them in that fashion in a 4x12.I like the combination of a 55 8HP/a 75 8HP in a 2x12.Preferably a Hermida Zcab.

6. gooma

gooma Member

I`ve also done the M & H mix quite a bit.

It`s my favourite mix by far, seems to work really well with most every style of music and amp.

I`ve currently got a Quadbox loaded with 3 of Jim`s M-75`s and one H-75. The H-75 just adds a bit of punch and top/low end.

I`ve also run this same quad with 2 M-75`s on top and a H-75, H-75LHDC down below. This works just as well. The M`s can still be heard despite their db rating. This is a great way of getting the exact tone you want, it`s suprising how much difference swapping 1 speaker out can make.

Either way you cant go wrong with the scumbacks:AOK

Brad